shore dive in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are steps for walk in/out or giant stride off dock. Just south are the artificial structures of Margaritaville and the two sections of a small plane. Another hundred feet south and there are tons of concrete rubble from a collapsed pier system. I have seen more critters on this shore dive than any other.

Is there a gradual slope off there or is it pretty flat? What depth would one maintain while heading south?

My 10 yr old daughter had her first scuba experience in Cozumel last week while we were on our annual family cruise. We have her signed up to get certified in March or April. We will be able to dive locally at some freshwater lakes this summer. Right now I have an amazing opportunity to take her to Cozumel for a couple of days over Thanksgiving, just me and her. I don't know that she will be ready to do a boat dive by that time so i'm looking for good places to shore dive with a guide in Cozumel. Can anyone recommend places ?

Thanks!
Amitya, we have similar experiences. I took my 14 year-old son on an excusrion dive while on a cruise docked in Coz...It was through Sand Dollar Sports, I believe. He really liked it, so he got certified here in San Antonio. In November we both returned to Coz for his first big blue dives after getting certified. We went with Aldora divers and I stressed to them that this was his first big dive, etc....They were amazing at staying right with him during all the dives. In fact, on the first days, he had a personal DM all to himself. I really was impressed with their dedication. I highly recommend Aldora if you have a new diver with you. Have fun.

... Just south are the artificial structures of Margaritaville and the two sections of a small plane. Another hundred feet south and there are tons of concrete rubble from a collapsed pier system. ....

What kinds of artificial structures does Margaritaville have, out of curiosity? I went there once, but just to jump on all the playthings. Didn't have a mask.

Is there a gradual slope off there or is it pretty flat? What depth would one maintain while heading south?
If you are starting from the BA the depth at the end of the sting ray prison is around 17-19'.
I head south till I get to villablanca and then let the current carry me back to BA staying at that depth.
It is pretty flat. It seems most of the small coral heads are in this depth range, closer to shore not so much and if you head out deeper say 22-24' it is a grassy area till you come to Villablanca wall (a long swim out).
After a 2-tank morning dive, lunch, and siesta, this is a great way to relax for 1-2 hours poking around at you own pace.
I've seen a lot of critters, but as others have said it isn't like the offshore reefs.
Heck I often would bring a Hawaiian sling and bag a lion or two, plus spear a few empty beer cans to bring back.

What kinds of artificial structures does Margaritaville have, out of curiosity? I went there once, but just to jump on all the playthings. Didn't have a mask.

Arches (big enough to swim thru) and reef mounds with openings for fish.

The depth by the rocky shore wall is about 15', at the rubble and plane it's about 20' (where you do most of the shore diving). It slopes very gradually and you have to go out pretty darn far to get past 25'. When you encounter large grassy areas you are out about as far as you want to be. I don't know if you could reach the reef or not but I've never considered it wise to try. That's what the boats are for.

On that part of the island the depth gets to 10-15' fairly quickly but then slopes much more gradually out to the wall, which is 100 yards or so offshore. Any time you are moving parallel to the shore the depth is fairly constant.

I have done the swim to the wall a few times but it's a pretty long way and you can't stay out there very long before you have to head back. It is NOT advisable to come to the surface until you are almost all the way back to shore because of boat traffic.

Back
Top Bottom