Shore dive on Evanston Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mlody11

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone been there recently? I would like to go diving next weeked (labor day weekend) and I was thinking to give the wreck off Evanston Beach a try. I was curious if anyone has been there latetly. I wonder if my 2.5mm suit will be good enough... its only 18 feet deep.

That's a tropical weight suit to me. I don't know about you, but I would be cold in a short period of time. I think the best you could expect the temps to be would be the low 70's at very shallow depth, and I have been hearing that wind action has been cooling the water off lately.

That's the Morely, right? Have you dived it before? Is it really a shore dive? I wouldn't mind trying that myself if it is.

Me too. Have any more details on that shore dive?

Ok, the wreck is only 150 yard off shore. An Olympic pool is 50m or 164 ft. long. So the Morley is only the distance of 2.74 times the distance of an Olympic pool, times 2, since you want to get back to shore as well. Do-able, certianly, but probably not a good idea for me! :) Check my math, because I am not real good at it, but it is a long swim for me I think

jepuskar:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=38593

Post #4 but might as well glimpse at the whole thread.

J

Dean810:
Ok, the wreck is only 150 yard off shore. An Olympic pool is 50m or 164 ft. long. So the Morley is only the distance of 2.74 times the distance of an Olympic pool, times 2, since you want to get back to shore as well. Do-able, certianly, but probably not a good idea for me! :) Check my math, because I am not real good at it, but it is a long swim for me I think

Hi,

Might even be a bit more like 175 yards.

However, it's not as bad as it sounds. My wife and I did the Morley a bunch of times last season (haven't gotten there this year), as new divers, and I not exactly being an athlete was OK with the swim.

You actually walk out a bit first, till you pass a first sand bar (at least, that's the bottom last year); then just take your time swimming ... it's not a race; then hang out on the surface till relaxed and ready to descend.

A couple of times, we did much of the return trip underwater, practicing navigation.

The walk to and from the parking area where we geared up was way tougher!

There once was a good web page with Morley history and maps and such, but the domain seems to have gone offline ... oh well.

Cheers,
Walter

It's a football field and a half.

I have a 10 year old who swims competitivly. She does 5 x 100 just for the warm up. I think she'd be there & back before I was halfway.

so probably a thicker wetsuit would be a good idea huh. I might just go rent a suit from DD dive since I need to rent a tank anyway. The distance doesnt seem that bad as long as the waves arent that high. If anyone wants to join, me and my GF are going to be there this sunday.

The wreck is the george morely and it is a shore dive and you need a float because there is some boat traffic there. I have never dove in lake michigan at all and I thought this might be a night intro to the lake. I went there 2 days ago and tried to spot the bouy with binoculars and I spotted lots of bouys but im not sure which one it was so I need to ask at the office... they should be able to tell me.

I was on the Morey about 2 weeks ago (it's about 350 ft surface swim). The water was warm so you could get away with using a 5 mm. It still a heck of a surface swim and you don't want to get too cold while making the swim out to the wreck.

The viz on this wreck varies from 2 to 20 ft... I would recommend diving this wreck earlier in the day rather than later.

The wreck is bouyed (it green cylinderical shaped), so it is easy to find. If you want compass headings you may want to talk with Elmer's Watersports (Myron has done about 250 dives on that wreck).

Also you'll need a dive flag the float type works best (the life guards will ask if you have one).

The other to note is that for scuba divers the beach is free so gear up and walk right down to the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom