Shore dive with new diver: Do you mind short and shallow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really?? Can I hold you to that once you're back in FL next week? Assuming you're interested in shore dives in LBTS or BHB. :wink:

Absolutely Annasea!
And talk about shallow dives, BHB is a phenomenal 22 ft dive.

. . . it was an evening shore dive in a familiar site not a long drive from home, and it didn't matter to me if it was 30 minutes or 60, as long as I got to get wet and see some fun things, which I did.

It got me to wondering . . . for those of you who are no longer "new divers", would you mind doing a shorter and shallower dive than usual, to accomodate a new diver?

(Part of the reason I don't mind is that my LDS sells a membership where you buy all your fills for the year for one price in December. So using a third of a tank doesn't offend me at all, because I don't pay a full fill price for doing it.)

I frequently dive with beginners, and it always starts with assurances that we're not going "deep" or "scary" and there's no expectations on what they need to do. Just look around and move at their speed to look at what they want to explore. I sometimes "squeeze" them toward fish, or other underwater point of interest, then enjoy "Their" discovery, just like I hadn't seen it a hundred times before.

My favorite dive shop, will poke fun at me for coming back with 3/4 th of a tank. . . but often refills it for free. He knows if some beginner is hanging around his shop, afraid to go a couple of hundred yards to the water, without someone to reassure them. I've taken people he knows and others that are just hanging around. He won't tell them too much about my experience, so they're not so afraid of an "experienced" diver. Just someone who has dived there before and is helpful.

No issue for me at all, used to do a lot of shore dives to around 15feet with new divers and enjoyed everyone of the dives. Hell I am happy to hop into a pool if someone asks :D

I sometimes "squeeze" them toward fish, or other underwater point of interest, then enjoy "Their" discovery, just like I hadn't seen it a hundred times before.

Oh, mudhole, thank you! I spend a lot of time finding things and pointing them out, but it had never occurred to me how much more fun it might be for somebody to "find" them themselves. Great idea!

Oh, mudhole, thank you! I spend a lot of time finding things and pointing them out, but it had never occurred to me how much more fun it might be for somebody to "find" them themselves. Great idea!

Yea it is much more fun! I have tried to let others find critters that I have seen, sometimes it works (which is fun) sometimes you have to basically throw it at them (ok I don't really do that :p). Though even with the latter it helps people be able to find similiar things themselves later on.

I don't get out nearly as much as I like but I don't mind taking a less experienced diver along as long as they pay attention to the details.

Some of the best things in Puget Sound are at 60' or less. I really like diving at Redondo.

I wish all experienced divers had your attitude. I was once informed by a diver (whom I had hoped could teach me a few things) that he never dives with anyone who doesn't have a computer because (in his exact words), "I'm not going to let you limit my bottom time." It certainly made me think twice about approaching other experienced divers. I haven't met many local divers, so far, but I hope this guy is not typical.

I have been diving with a new diver the past couple of weeks and one of our dives was a night dive at Whytecliff, it was low tide and we just cruised the bay. The average depth was about 9' with a max depth of 18'. We had an excellent dive seeing stuff I had not seen before as we looked through the rocks. For a while during the dive we were only in 3' of water. We had a blast. The dive was only about 30 minutes long.

I have over 400 dives now and am tech certified and I have no problems getting out with new divers. I dive for the enjoyment of it and have learnt you can see neat and cool stuff at any depth. I also love to see the new divers improve and unless they get out with experienced divers they will not improve that fast.

So I am all for diving with new divers :)

I wish all experienced divers had your attitude. I was once informed by a diver (whom I had hoped could teach me a few things) that he never dives with anyone who doesn't have a computer because (in his exact words), "I'm not going to let you limit my bottom time." It certainly made me think twice about approaching other experienced divers. I haven't met many local divers, so far, but I hope this guy is not typical.

Well be prepared to be knocked back sometimes if you are new, some people just don't like it so don't take it personal... but most experienced people will be happy to dive with you I'm sure :)

I wish others would do the same as lately I've had a few people invite themselves along to more advanced dives I want to do, I've hinted really strongly that I would prefer not to dive with them, and if they don't get it I feel like such a horrible person when I have to knock them back more forcefully! :(
Hey Sas, if that person is ever me feel free to be blunt about it. I can be a bit dense sometimes :)

Back
Top Bottom