Shore dives for novice divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CathyS

Reaction score
Hello,

Got my OW certification a year ago today. So far I have about 20 dives not including cert dives. All my diving has been at the Ohio quarries and now my boyfriend/dive buddy and I are looking to branch out a bit.

Anyone know of shore dives in Michigan, northern Ohio, or northern Indiana that would be appropriate for newbie divers? We are in suburban Detroit but would drive 5 or so hours and make an overnight trip if necessary.

Thanks,
Cathy

Discovery Dive Charters in Cleveland, OH holds the only diving permit for one of the local parks, you might contact them. They also have some beginner boat dives that aren't too expensive.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Discovery Dive Charters in Cleveland, OH holds the only diving permit for one of the local parks, you might contact them. They also have some beginner boat dives that aren't too expensive.

Thank you!

I would try talking to your LDS. They might offer some dive charters that would work for you. If you are up for a drive give Tobermorey a try. If I remember right it is about a five and half hour drive from the northern suburbs. Its a blast and charters are very reasonabley priced.

E.B.

Tiny Bubbles:
For a newbie... Union Lake, just west of Pontiac. When there isn't too much boat traffic, that is. And you would only have to drive about 1 hour, maybe less.

-Ray

Hehe, more like 10 minutes for me. I am in Keego Harbor.

I have thought about Orchard Lake, which is even closer than Union Lake, but it seems like there are many boaters on that lake all the time in the summer.

How is the viz in Union Lake? (Just guessing it is crappy!)

wolves64t:
If you are up for a drive give Tobermorey a try. If I remember right it is about a five and half hour drive from the northern suburbs. Its a blast and charters are very reasonabley priced.

Thanks, we will have to give that a try. I did a bit of reading about Tobermory yesterday and it looks like there are a couple of shore dives in addition to charters. I am afraid of getting pukey sick so I have a bit of an aversion to boat dives, but maybe I will have to give Bonine a try.

The St. Clair River in the city of St. Clair is an easy dive and about an hour or so drive from Keego Harbor. I will be diving there Thursday afternoon, there's always room for more divers.

CMAN:
The St. Clair River in the city of St. Clair is an easy dive and about an hour or so drive from Keego Harbor. I will be diving there Thursday afternoon, there's always room for more divers.

Hmmm, I thought the St. Clair River has a pretty serious current and lots of boat traffic?

Gull Lake near Battle Creek is a very easy place to shore dive. There are a couple of parks that you can park a short walk from the water, gear up at the picnic table and walk into the water. One is Praireville Park and the other is on the other side of the lake. Drop by or call Equinox Dive and Training in Portage for more information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom