Shore diviing motion sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I havent done so myself, but I did have a guide once who signaled for everyone else to stay where they where while he swam off a few meters and he did, repeatedly throw up through his regulator..

Reactions: Jax
Thank you, everyone, for sharing your stories!!!!

One thing a seasick person does not need to hear is that "it's all in your head", or "no one gets seasick in surf", etc.

Thank you for validating that this happens -- like vertigo in blue water, it just happens to some people. You're not alone, Krispy!

Yeah, it does make me feel better to know i'am not the only one.
Now I have to remember to drink lots of water, eat a good breakfast, take some sudafed, bonine, chew some ginger and learn to throw up in my reg:D

Not sure that "eat a good breakfast" is recommended. If you are going to puke, drink plenty of water in advance to replace what you will lose by puking. Eating a lot of fried eggs and bacon might make for a great fish attraction in the water, but I don't really think the undigested food will make you feel better when your stomach starts churning and wants to blow. IMHO, get the seasickness under control before you start eating a "good breakfast" before diving.

Having a proper breakfast actually greatly reduce the chance of motion sickness, so saying to avoid it is simply bs..

Key word here is proper though, it shouldnt be excessive..

Not sure that "eat a good breakfast" is recommended. If you are going to puke, drink plenty of water in advance to replace what you will lose by puking. Eating a lot of fried eggs and bacon might make for a great fish attraction in the water, but I don't really think the undigested food will make you feel better when your stomach starts churning and wants to blow. IMHO, get the seasickness under control before you start eating a "good breakfast" before diving.

Having a good breakfast is a very good idea, but nothing greasy or it can make it worse.

I eat something like fruit and granola. . . at least I can feed the fishes healthy food. :thumb:

I have to agree with Tigerman... having eaten makes you feel stronger and steadier. Everyone is different and maybe there are different triggers for nausea but for me personally I'd be much less likely to feel nausea if I'd eaten in the morning, preferably something with protein.

Back
Top Bottom