shore diving in oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerryTat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm heading to oahu in a couple of weeks.. and plan on a boat dive or two. However I really enjoy shore diving because you can go at your own pace.
We plan on diving 5 days there.
What are the top ten places to shore dive there? (depending on conditions of course!)
Thanks in advance,
T

I like the North Shore for shore diving best. However, these sites will not be diveable due to high surf while you are here.

Typically once mid September rolls around, I boat dive exclusively until mid May or so.
However, that's just my preference.

If you check out the shorediving.com website, you'll see several shore diving spots on the east side of the island that should be diveable while you're here. Many of those sites are not easy dives for various reasons. I choose not to dive them because I call it "billy goat diving" - the entrances/exits are rather strenuous for me. If you plan to check them out, the best is to have a good chat with someone very familiar with those sites to give you information on the easiest entrances/exits.

There was a thread several months back where we discussed some of these sites - do a search on bluemagoo's name and you'll find it. He detailed several of them.

The west side is usually diveable most of the year - Electric Beach is an easy shore dive, but has definite drawbacks as far as leaving your car. See MilitantMedic's recent post titled "@)#@@%$(#@)""@#" - or something like that.

If you don't mind a pretty big surface swim, some people do Makaha Caverns as a shore dive. Personally, it's a bit too far for me to consider, but it's a thought. Makaha Caverns is my favorite dive site on the west side.

TerryTat,
Right off Waikiki about a mile out is turtle canyon. If the surf isn't bad the swim isn't too bad, but watch the tides. It is not all that hard to find, plus there are a few dive places on the beach that can point you in the right direction.

okamiotoko2004:
TerryTat,
Right off Waikiki about a mile out is turtle canyon. If the surf isn't bad the swim isn't too bad, but watch the tides. It is not all that hard to find, plus there are a few dive places on the beach that can point you in the right direction.

A mile out?!? Dang, you've got to be one of those HARD CORE shore divers. :wink:

Umm . . . you ever done Makaha Caverns as a shore dive? I've heard some people say it isn't a bad surface swim, but it looks pretty far to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom