Shore Diving in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIBR offers a boat ride to the in reef entrance of Spooky Channel. (Tip the driver) The ride from/to the outer end (oceanside part) of spooky Channel is long ride. In one tank, you will need to make the ride at least once. There is no opportunity to make a tank switch mid dive. And overall, it's a mediocre dive. You'll have more fun on the shark dive on the south side with the Italian guy.

Anthony's Key as far as I could SEE cannot offer shore dives, although they have some cool dives a short (within sight) boat ride away. Any boat from BIBR has to go right thru AKR, or go a longer way around the reef.

Thanks coberry and diverrick. We will be there over my kids' spring break in March. I had read somewhere that there was shore diving in Roatan. That is always fun for my kids who like to go at their own pace. That is one of the reasons we enjoy Grand Caymen so much. But it sounds like the shore diving in Roatan takes some doing and connecting that we don't really have time for so we will arrange to make some dive shop connections.

See Roatanboy, people can provide quality advice without being cynical. Take a lesson.

falcon:
Thanks coberry and diverrick. We will be there over my kids' spring break in March. I had read somewhere that there was shore diving in Roatan. That is always fun for my kids who like to go at their own pace. That is one of the reasons we enjoy Grand Caymen so much. But it sounds like the shore diving in Roatan takes some doing and connecting that we don't really have time for so we will arrange to make some dive shop connections.

See Roatanboy, people can provide quality advice without being cynical. Take a lesson.

Try the shark dive. It can be done and is in sight of the cruise ship the whole time. I can provide details if you like. Keep in mind that I have only been to Roatan once. RoatanMan has more experience there, I think.

coberry7:
Try the shark dive. It can be done and is in sight of the cruise ship the whole time.
It was featured in the strangely titled Rodales article this month- BIG dives in Roatan. See what I think they call the dive site "Cara a Cara" (face to face in Italian?) provided by an un-named (non advertiser at RSD) dive op called Wiakula Divers. They are in Dixon Cove which is just at the E end of the runway. You will get a good look at the large A Frame bldg that you fly over- as well as the huge wreck offshore.

It is well run and highly advised to pay attention to the dive briefing. :jaws:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom