short inflator hose - safety risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP specifically said that the LPI popped off the power inflator.

I'm well aware of that. That is a issue addressed best with pre dive checks. Just like gas on, waist belt buckled etc. It is *why* I specifically noted the advantages of having the LP hose attached.

In the situaton you had, with the corrugated hose floating somewhere up above and behind, how would having a longer hose floating up above and behind your head have helped?

If I can 1) find the reg, 2) Touch the back of my neck how would having a 36-42" buoyant hose help?

Are you now advocating long corrugated hoses to aid with recovery? Please explain.

Tobin

I'm well aware of that. That is a issue addressed best with pre dive checks. Just like gas on, waist belt buckled etc. It is *why* I specifically noted the advantages of having the LP hose attached.

Oh. I didn't realize anybody, anywhere had any questions about the advantages of having the LP hose attached to the power inflator. Having a LP inflator hose on your 1st stage and not connecting it to the power inflator seems like a pretty useless thing that even the most fledgling diver would recognize as useless.

Unfortunately, while the OP already seemed to be aware of the advantages of having his LPI hose attached to the power inflator, he did not make sure they were fully and properly connected, and so the LPI popped off when he tried to inflate his BCD.

That is why I posted earlier that, while having pre-dive checks are good, he should still consider practicing his ability to reach back and find the corrugated hose elbow where the corrugated hose attaches to his BCD, so that he can locate the corrugated hose and pull it back down to him. As well as practicing reaching his tank valve and each of the hoses coming off his first stage.

As I said earlier, if he was comfortable reaching back and finding all those things, his "issue" would have been a non-event and he could have fixed his inflator and continued his dive.

If I can 1) find the reg, 2) Touch the back of my neck how would having a 36-42" buoyant hose help?

Are you now advocating long corrugated hoses to aid with recovery? Please explain.

Tobin

That was addressed to the OP. The point of my question to him being that his idea of having a longer corrugated hose to address this problem doesn't seem like it would actually help.

The point of my question to him being that his idea of having a longer corrugated hose to address this problem doesn't seem like it would actually help.

I asked the same question in Post #2 of this thread........

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom