Short report on Mermaid1/Similans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

escapedia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
Returned a week ago from Thailand, two trips: to the Similans and Koh Tarutao.
As for the Similans' trip (the other will follow one day..):
Though it was April, I didn't see any BIG fish, but one manta at Koh Bon.
The weather wasn't as hot as I tought it would be, but it was cloudy most of the trip, something which didn't help for the visibility, plus lots of plankton.
The Mermaid 1 is a great boat but most of all, there were two things which made it so great: the tank boys were amazing!! Such a good service that I haven’t encountered on any other trip that I took. The second one is a damn good coffee machine..(a good cup of coffee and a cigarette, for me is the best 'after-dive')
As for the diving itself: I wasn't expecting any 'wow' dives, and there were not any 'wow' dives. The manta ray at Koh Bon made that dive great, but other than that: very regular reef dives.
Richelieu Rock is also a great diving site with somewhat 'wow' factor to it: barracudas, sea horses, lots of fish and colorful soft corals.
Next time: a report of an unforgettable trip (not for the right reasons:wink: ) to the Koh Tarutao marine park, on the border of Malaysia.

Hi,

Thanks for the photos. I'm thinking of a LOB on Mermaid Or the White/Black Manta this coming Dec. Now that I know there is a good coffee machine on board, this will swing my vote to the Mermaid. Any pictures on Mermaid herself ?

Cheers

Thanks for the link. Actually had viewed the photos from the webby, was wondering about photos taken by the guests. Cheers anyway

Thanks for sharing, Escapedia... the Similians sound like a long and expensive way to go if the diving is not as spectacular? Rethinking december plans now... :(

Thanks for sharing..

Traminer:
Thanks for sharing, Escapedia... the Similians sound like a long and expensive way to go if the diving is not as spectacular? Rethinking december plans now... :(

peoples perceptions of dive sites/areas are just that - their own

the similans is world famous for a very good reason - the diving there is superb. Not every dive is going to be out of this world, that just doesnt happen. i worked on a liveaboard in the similans for 4 months this season and it was some of the nicest diving i have done(2500 or so)
i logged almost 350 dives there in 4 months. Normally on a liveaboard as a guide you get very bored with sites very quickly, not so the similans.

HOWEVER if you want lots of big sharks etc then this is the WRONG place to go. the similand get heavily advertised for sharks etc but what they are famous for is the biodiversity. if you are on a decent boat with good guides that actually know what they are doing then you will really have some fantastic dives in the similans. if you want to see lots of white tips etc and dont like the macro side of things at all then maybe you are heading to the wrong place :)

I agree the Similans are advertised improperly. The diving is very consistent, easy and good. However, I like Burma a bit better. I spent the season up there on a sailboat and was wowed all the time! But the diving IS much less consistent than the Similans...you just never know what you are going to get!
I just did a trip on the MV Philkade in April. It is a new boat and the most luxurious I have ever been on (15 liveaboards or so). And also had mantas at Koh Bon, but at least 4 at a time on all 4 dives there!! Richelieu, unfortunately, was just too crowded to really enjoy this time...a shame because it can be such a great site.

I was on this same trip with Erez (that's me in the third photo) and can agree that there were no 'wow' dives, but still some very good dives. As always the boat crew on a Mermaid run boat was great. This was my fourth trip with them.

As some others have mentioned, the Similans can be hit or miss. I did this same trip exactly four years ago, and had a much better experiance. Again I am not saying that this one was bad, which it was not. But on the first trip, I hit alot of the big stuff and small stuff. Whale Shark, Manta, Turtle, Sharks, Harlequin Shrimp, Seahorse, Ghostpipefish, etc.

So on this last trip, I only saw turtles, mantas, sharks, seahorses, etc. I think most would consider that a good trip.

For more photos from this trip check out my home page.

Back
Top Bottom