Short shallow dive and 15 hours later still feeling sick.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karamosel92

Registered
Reaction score
My first time on air and in gear diving was last wednesday. I did well once in the pool and we literally only went to the bottom of 3 feet. We were in the water on air for 30 mins on and off. About 30 mins after I got out of the pool I went unconscious. I got some fluids and food and was able to drive home about 30 mins after the blackout. I chalked this up to perhaps hypoglycemia. After getting home I was very weak (figured this was from blacking out) and went to bed after rinsing off in the shower. I slept for 12 hours and woke up and felt decent.

My second time was this wednesday, last night. We went in 3 feet for about 5 mins and then about 10 mins in 9 feet of water. Upon leaving the water I felt ok, and was a little nervous as I did not want to repeat passing out again. I drank over 70 oz of fluid within 45 mins of getting out of the water and ate some light food to make sure my blood sugar was staying up. I went home about an hour away, and took a hot shower and went to bed. Woke up at around 4AM and my blood sugar crashed and I had my spouse get me food and water. My ears were ringing and I felt very dizzy but I stayed laying in bed and did not get up. Went back to bed and slept until almost 12:30pm. (approx 12 hours of time asleep). I've been up for about and hour and a half and I feel awful. My hands are cold and clammy, mentally I feel sluggish, and my entire body hurts. I can't seem to get enough water in me and yet still have to use the bathroom frequently.

From my understanding of dc sickness, I would have no way of being affected at 9ft for the short time I am down.
I really do not want to give up on diving as it may be a part of my professional career in the future. Any comments, suggestions, are greatly welcomed.

I do not have diabetes. I have always assumed I have reactive hypoglycemia though this is not a clinical diagnosis.
I was wondering about potential dehydration? Reading this http://scubadiverlife.com/2013/06/13/dive-safety-hydration/ article says that I could lose a cup of water each breath. I am still crazy thirsty right now but I am afraid to drink more (I've had 6 large glasses of water so far in the last hour and a half) due to that I keep peeing it out.
I will see if I can find a number for DAN offhand. Our instructor gave it to us, however I think I lost that paper.

I contacted them. They said it's virtually unheard of. ... and thats it.
Edit: They were very informative and kind however.

I would suggest a visit to your Doctor.

It does seem unlikely it is directly diving related, only that the exercise / immersion has made it worse / symptomatic.

I would also suggest until your Doctor has given you the all clear that you should avoid any further diving. Whilst its a great hobby, its not worth risking your health over.

I have never heard of symptoms like this before. I will move this to the diving Medicine forum in the hop that one of our medical moderators has some ideas.

I would suggest a visit to your Doctor.

It does seem unlikely it is directly diving related, only that the exercise / immersion has made it worse / symptomatic.

I would also suggest until your Doctor has given you the all clear that you should avoid any further diving. Whilst its a great hobby, its not worth risking your health over.
I run 4 miles twice a week, so I am not sure about the first part. However it does seem like it has been a symptom perhaps brought out.

I do not have diabetes. I have always assumed I have reactive hypoglycemia though this is not a clinical diagnosis.
I was wondering about potential dehydration? Reading this http://scubadiverlife.com/2013/06/13/dive-safety-hydration/ article says that I could lose a cup of water each breath. I am still crazy thirsty right now but I am afraid to drink more (I've had 6 large glasses of water so far in the last hour and a half) due to that I keep peeing it out.
I will see if I can find a number for DAN offhand. Our instructor gave it to us, however I think I lost that paper.
The link you provide does NOT say you lose a cup of water with each breath; it says you might lose a cup over the course of a 30-minute dive.

You really should look further into your self-diagnosis of "reactive hypoglycemia." With a doctor, not an internet forum.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2645126

Back
Top Bottom