Short shallow dive and 15 hours later still feeling sick.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as stated above.....you should seek professional medical advice from an M.D....if your primary care physician is unavailable go to the E.R.....good luck to you and keep us informed so we can all learn from your experience.

The link you provide does NOT say you lose a cup of water with each breath; it says you might lose a cup over the course of a 30-minute dive.

You really should look further into your self-diagnosis of "reactive hypoglycemia." With a doctor, not an internet forum.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2645126
I appreciate the correction there. As you can tell I'm a bit fogged. I am glad that the water issue is not the case.
I've had an extremely hard time getting healthcare other than an urgent care. I don't even have a PCP due to practices leaving and not accepting patients. My wait list to get into just an OBGYN was 9 months and I was never able to get in due to them not being available after waiting that long and I had to be rescheduled. Just an example.
Also, my father is a doctor and he did say that the sugar helping my issue is most probably reactive hypoglycemia. Hence, not a unbiased report but certainly not one given from an internet forum. No one here suggested it or elsewhere.

Are you in the U.S.? What is the career you mention that might require diving?

I did not mean to suggest you got your self-diagnosis from the internet, but you did say it was not a clinical diagnosis. Based on the article that I gave the link to, a clinical diagnosis could be helpful. Note that the article is probably more recent than your father's training. Hypoglycemia, especially underwater, is not something to ignore.

I called my last most recent doctor and they cant get me in until late feb. Unfortunatley my insurance doesnt cover e.r. visits. I know that I can still get help at the e.r. if I need it but I am not sure if I should go in or not. When I spoke with DAN they said there is no chance of anything nitrogen-wise giving me an issue so I am afraid that the E.R. will just disreguard me anyway. Not sure if this is extreme enough to warrant a visit.

Are you in the U.S.? What is the career you mention that might require diving?

I did not mean to suggest you got your self-diagnosis from the internet, but you did say it was not a clinical diagnosis. Based on the article that I gave the link to, a clinical diagnosis could be helpful. Note that the article is probably more recent than your father's training. Hypoglycemia, especially underwater, is not something to ignore.
That is a good article. I doubt I will be eligible for getting adrenal testing or diabetes insipidus testing but I will ask. Furthermore I just wish I could get in sooner. :(

. . . I drank over 70 oz of fluid within 45 mins of getting out of the water . . . .

I'm not a medical professional, but that sounds like a lot of water. It is possible to over-hydrate.

As someone else said, consider visiting the ER if you can't visit a doctor's office. Passing out, etc., is serious stuff.

OP, what part of the country are you in? some of us might be able to make recommendations on physicians that might be able to accommodate your need for an appointment. i am physician in MidWest and have contacts but mostly in the MidWest

And if the Urgent care is the only option then take it. I know like anything else, quality of care can vary. But they should be able to at least do a basic investigation (possibly a chemistry panel, UA, EKG, H&H for anemia, prehaps a pregnancy test) and r/o immediate concerns. And recommend appropriate F/U even if if its the ER. It does not sound like hypoglycemia or a simple vasovagal reaction. And this is not a normal post dive experience.

I called my last most recent doctor and they cant get me in until late feb. Unfortunatley my insurance doesnt cover e.r. visits. I know that I can still get help at the e.r. if I need it but I am not sure if I should go in or not. When I spoke with DAN they said there is no chance of anything nitrogen-wise giving me an issue so I am afraid that the E.R. will just disreguard me anyway. Not sure if this is extreme enough to warrant a visit.

You need to be seen in the ED if you are still feeling sick. It warranted an immediate ED visit when this happened the first time. Were you doing this on your own, or were you with an instructor? If you were under professional instructional supervision, did your instructor recommend you go to the ED?

I strongly urge you to NOT DIVE again until you've been worked up by a physician. You haven't given much of a medical history aside from absence of diabetes and the fact that you run regularly, so it's difficult to provide more specific information. Has this ever happened to you before outside diving? How old are you? What medical conditions do you have at present? Are you under a physician's care for anything? What, if any, medications are you on?

Best regards,
DDM

<edit> this sounds more fussy than I really mean it. I hope we can help you get to the bottom of what's going on.

Last edited:
Are you using the dive shop's tanks or your own? Did you have a headache?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom