Should all divers have a redundant air source on every dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't mean it's not important ... or that it can't be done. Of course, it can ... in my experience, we do it daily. But my diving circle makes proper buddy skills a priority ... not an afterthought.

Bob makes a fantastic point. At least in my case, the importance of keeping a buddy team together was never sufficiently emphasized in open water class, where it mainly consisted of the statements, "Always dive with a buddy," "If you get separated, search for one minute and then do a slow ascent to the surface and stay there." That was pretty much it, and in reality, it's how most people tend to dive. You might stay with a buddy, he/she might stay with you, depending. But it's never ironclad, so it's always inconsistent. No wonder the occasional buddy separation seems to be a fact of life!

But there are alternatives. A buddy team that is trained to work together and stay together rarely, if ever, gets separated. You can have constant feedback and communication (both active and passive) with your buddies, meaning you always know where they are, and more importantly, if one of you happens to stray from the other, and it rather than cramp the style/spontaneity of the dive, it actually makes you feel more free and relaxed, because you're never worried if your buddy is still there--they just are.

So that kind of begs the question, what if something happens to your buddy? IME, when you dive as a real buddy team, you know *immediately* if something happens to them, and vice versa. That puts both of you in the best position to work any problem out together, whether it's a minor inconvenience or a full on emergency. The alternative is, if your buddy gets caught up on something and you're unaware for a minute or two as you're swimming around, he may no longer be in sight when you finally think to look for him.

In a choice between these two possible scenarios, I'll take the first one every time, rather than carry a pony in anticipation of the latter situation occurring.

TS&M likes to say "You don't know what you don't know." At least as it was for me, I had no idea how coherent and fun a real, working buddy team could be, until I saw it for myself.

TS&M likes to say "You don't know what you don't know." At least as it was for me, I had no idea how coherent and fun a real, working buddy team could be, until I saw it for myself.

Uncle Pug:
Some of the most pertinent questions are never asked because folks don't know what they don't know... quite a few don't even know what they think they know.

Much truth in that :)

As said by some others on this thread, I never dive without an alternate air source. I don't dive solo.

Then perhaps you just need better dive buddies. ...

But my diving circle makes proper buddy skills a priority ... not an afterthought.

You are fortunate, Bob, to have such a circle. I myself have two non-intersecting cricles in my life.

My first circle is much like yours, and good buddy skills are a critical part of our routine.

My second circle comes when my non-diving wife and I travel to any of the many dive locations in the world for our vacations, and I have no choice but to step onto a boat knowing I will be dealing with the ultimate roll of the diving dice, the insta-buddy. I have had many good experiences with those, and many not so good.

In the not so good cases you have to consider the rest of the situation and make apprpriate decisions. For example, in Cozumel you are required to dive with a professional divemaster, and you are usually part of a group of divers who are reasonably close to one another throughout the dive. That is a very different situation from exploring a site with nothing but your buddy. These are two different levels of concern requiring two different kinds of action.

Some folks drive without a redundant spare tire and seem fine with that. I mean, if you have a blowout, you can always do a CESA (Controlled Emergency Smash Aversion).

Some folks dive without a redundant air source and seem fine with that. They can always do a CESA.

Me, I always carry around a spare tire and check to make sure it's full of air just in case I need it, which to date I haven't.

I also always carry around a pony and check to make sure it's full of air in case I need it, which to date I haven't.

But with either one, if and when I need it, I will be glad I'm carrying it (it's not really that much trouble), and I'll be glad it's full of air. Just knowing I have both lends a certain peace of mind.

>*< Fritz

Some folks drive without a redundant spare tire and seem fine with that. I mean, if you have a blowout, you can always do a CESA (Controlled Emergency Smash Aversion).

Some folks dive without a redundant air source and seem fine with that. They can always do a CESA.

Me, I always carry around a spare tire and check to make sure it's full of air just in case I need it, which to date I haven't.

I also always carry around a pony and check to make sure it's full of air in case I need it, which to date I haven't.

But with either one, if and when I need it, I will be glad I'm carrying it (it's not really that much trouble), and I'll be glad it's full of air. Just knowing I have both lends a certain peace of mind.

>*< Fritz

Great tire analogy. Do you practice changing your tire? Frequently check to make sure that you can get to the tire in time... wait, the tire thing doesn't really work after all. Because it's more like you need to practice collision avoidance, which has nothing what-so-ever to do with changing a tire.

The spare tire thing is really more akin to keeping some o-rings in the trunk in case you need one _before_ the dive.

:popcorn:

My second circle comes when my non-diving wife and I travel to any of the many dive locations in the world for our vacations, and I have no choice but to step onto a boat knowing I will be dealing with the ultimate roll of the diving dice, the insta-buddy. I have had many good experiences with those, and many not so good.

This is the bottom line for many divers.
Some of us are fortunate to have a regular dive buddy or a group that we dive with on a regular basis where skill levels are known and understood.

Resort or remote sites have two issues that separate themselves from our regular sites and buddy, air travel and insta-buddys. First is traveling with a pony is a huge pain so most of us don't bother. Second, we do have to play the buddy lottery game after we are already on the boat.

So, unless you decide to travel with a pony you had better develop a plan to screen or train that new buddy quick or stay shallow enough to CESA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom