Should all divers have a redundant air source on every dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For divers who are just not into the whole God Thing, is it acceptable to bolt without praying?

No! If you are going to bolt, you must pray!

On the other hand, you can follow the more mellow CESA guidelines and have a safe and orderly ascent to the surface. In that case, prayer is not needed.

Your choice.

OK - well, I guess that leaves bolting out for me! I guess my pony bottle goes along on every dive from now on.

Thanks!
ND

No need to pray if you use a stainless bolt.

For divers who are just not into the whole God Thing, is it acceptable to bolt without praying?

Sorry Nd, no P - no B. It just wouldn't seem right.
You can only hope that evolutionary processes favour your survival.

Thal, do they sell those bolts in the Virgin Islands?

No need to pray if you use a stainless bolt.

Infidel. :rofl3:

No brass snapbolts here....

I have however been known to anoint the holy stainless with silicone lube.... old superstitions die hard :D

You missed the point. The underwater swim is still in the standards as part of the swim test for some agencies. If you can do it without fins, it should be so much easier with fins.

Nope. Swimming with one fin (flutter or dolphin) is much easier than swimming with boots, but no fins.

I didn't have to do that...can you use your arms? We only had to swim as far as we could without taking a breath (reg in mouth) which basically ended up being about the length of the pool (with fins) I'll have to try without fins next time I get some pool time. (and one fin also)

As a rule, I use the pony if diving deep--say below 60-70 feet. Above that I tend to feel safe enough without one with a dependable buddy. I don't use it solo diving, as I won't go below 30 feet, thus can do a CESA. I did solo once to 50 feet and took the pony.

It seems to me you should have a method for surviving the dive if any single piece of equipment fails (i.e. multiple failures can't be addressed efficiently).

So for gas it seems simple: If you can't trust the person you're diving with to be within your capability of reaching them in case you have a catastrophic first stage failure (and have them respond appropriately), you better be:
a) able to reach the surface via CESA
b) have a redundant gas supply

In any case, sure would be good if you regularly practised your failure response. No?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom