Should certification testing be separate from training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
One way to insure that certification could not be purchased, and to raise the standards, is to separate certification from training, with a separate certification organization providing certification testing for a flat fee. The testing organization should not be allowed to provide training, equipment sales, or travels services. This would eliminate the current conflict of interest, as the testers would have no financial incentive to pass students.

As a bonus, it would become much easier to judge the quality of a training program based on the percentage of students that passed the certification test on the first try.

Excellent Idea! However, like Mr Holcomb said, it will never happen.

That is an interesting thought - however - regardless of whether is will ever happen - it goes against how most educational systems work - you take a test administered by the instructor - in most cases right?

How about a compromise -
you take your training, do your written test with your instructor - then switch instructors for the OW - granted, this is not flawless as any outfit can rig it - but at least the possibility of having another set of eyeballs evaluate a student are there.

WetDane,

Actually there is a very good precedence in the IT Industry. For example, you must register and take Microsoft Certification Exams independent of any training. I suspect this is to eliminate the conflict of interest and ensure standards are consistent.

In reality I don’t think it will ever happen either unless, God forbid, at some point Government regulations are imposed.

Mike

You are trying to mandate change in an area that, doesn’t want change. I.E You are swimming against the current!

People must “WANT” good instruction.
People must know how to tell if they are “getting” good instruction.
Instructors must be reviewed by their piers and their students.

Before I would suggest separation of Cert and training, I would suggest pier review and student review online where prospective students can read the comments and ratings of students and piers.

Ha, you guys must be kidding. And who is going to be the evaluators? Some clerk, pencil pusher, polititian? And what levels of training should this include? It will never happen and I don't think it's a good idea. HOWEVER!!!
The problem is that qualification is left up to the instructor or trainer opinion. There is absolutely no measuring yard stick who qualifies and who does not. How does one measure what is passing and what is comfort zone of any skill? There is none. Most divers finishing a basic course clear a mask like it was a death defying skill, but they survive it once and that's it, they passed. Many get certified and never needed to clear a mask. That's a fact.
There is however a measuring stick but the agencies and the industry does not want to hear it. I tried

Originally posted by MikeS
WetDane,

Actually there is a very good precedence in the IT Industry. For example, you must register and take Microsoft Certification Exams independent of any training. I suspect this is to eliminate the conflict of interest and ensure standards are consistent.

In reality I don’t think it will ever happen either unless, God forbid, at some point Government regulations are imposed.

Mike

.....scuba diving is marketed as a recreational acitvity that "anyone can learn to dive" like rollerblading or riding a bicycle there would be no incentive for that very industry to tighten things up a bit as far as training is concerned.

Originally posted by MikeS

Let's all hope and pray it does not come to that!!!!!!

With that concept the industry is shooting themselves in the foot. Nothing earned is nothing gained. The drop out rate is 85%. The industry is trying to compete with other sports to attract new blood, we we are doing absolutely nothing in keeping those that were origianlly atracted and took a course.

Back
Top Bottom