Should graphic photos be included in reports about dive accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I agree (or maybe I respect because I fear what can happen), but maybe they should be shown in a way that doesn't introduce fear, but instills respect.
Which is what I think the video "a deceptively easy way to die" does. Hes very clear that if you screw up in a cave you ARE likely to die, but he does so in a very constructive way that also explains what cave divers train to do to avoid that happening.

How often do you see a giant wall put up when being directed around a fresh traffic accident? The pic's should be allowed but, with the sterilized warning about being graphic. I too believe that it has the possibility of saving another life or two if they are viewed.

Just my $.05 used to be $.02, but oh well inflation you know.

I not only show every OW class the Deceptively Easy Way to Die video (which was in fact made for OW divers not cave divers because cave divers know the dangers) but also show what can happen in other environments they have no business being in. How many of you realize that PADI helped produce it?

Pics of dead wreck divers from the Andrea Doria hit home as well.

I also adopted the tech community practice of looking at dive accidents and going into full details of the results with OW students when they have a question as to why they should not do this or that. Rather than say "oh well, you know it;s really not safe and go on to something else. Showing them a body wrapped in cables or a diver being given CPR on the deck is much more effective.

I myself believe a link is entirely appropriate and would greatly appreciate it if someone would PM it to me so I can use it in my classes. As for the PG rating how many naievely believe that kids are not looking at far worse when mom and dad are not around. When we had Drivers Ed gruesome was what they used to make a point. Part of the problem with life in general today is that too many people are insulated from reality and what is going on.

Last night we watched a movie called "Rabbit Proof Fence".

Something that everyone should see. Especially Australians.

I don't see how it is any different than the downwelling video from Coz. Easier for me to look at people dead than to hear a kid screaming in fear underwater while accelerating towards the surface and then being told he has to go back down. Sorry that is far worse to me.

And if it was me that was dead or one of my loved ones, I'd consider it a public service if the pictures were posted and if it was my son or other loved one you bet your butt I;d not only post em but show them to every new diver I could to say "see, the fun, sun, and half naked people is not reality. This is. You are doing something that can and will kill you very quickly in some very nasty ways if you screw up or don't respect it."

Show em' via link. No brainer. Link doesn't even need a warning, everyone knows what's behind that door.

I was in favor of letting the link remain - I find that the internet can be a little unreal at times... and I've seen plenty enough people display blasé attitudes when discussing potentially lethal scenarios, actual incidents or opinions on risk exposure.

Such attitudes inevitably result from a lack of real-life experience in connection with fatal accidents and their repercussions.

I don't like to see such photos... in fact, I hate it. Having served in the military, I don't need a reminder what death looks like. I am sure the same applies to others who work in the police and medical professions.

That said, there's plenty enough people whose lives don't take them into contact with the results of premature cessation of life... and those people can benefit from a sobering reminder that life isn't a Hollywood movie.

Showing graphic images of fatalities is par-for-the-course in many countries. In the West, such things are now considered vulgar, too graphic or disrespectful. Elsewhere, it's just a fact of life.

Treating grown adults with kid gloves doesn't do them any favors - it's fine if those people live sedentary lives, with little risk exposure... but when they start diving, they need a dose of reality to balance the equation.

Back
Top Bottom