Should I be using lube on o-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What o ring would that be? Do you have a din 1st stage? Don't lube anything that is exposed. I thought you were talking about hose o rings that are on hoses connecting to 1st stage. Not really necessary to lube those but I do.

If you put lube on something it should only be on things that are put together and stay together. Not anything between your reg and tank.
I was talking about the o-rings that are on the hoses that connect to the regs, SPG and first stage. The reason I mentioned the o-ring on my first stage yoke is because I was curious about what the below quote was referencing...

Do NOT lube your reg-tank connection O-ring. That's out hanging in the open and asking to accumulate crud.

Once they are connected the first time, no need to relube or even remove any hoses afterwards.
Perhaps not for you but I can think of many scenarios where hoses need to be removed/reattached. I currently have my computer transmitter disconnected so I can change the battery, that'll have to go back when I'm done. I am also switching from a braided long hose to a rubber one. I am also adding an SPG to the rig. I am also adding quick disconnects (locking) to my reg sets. Plenty of reasons to remove/attach hoses in my situation.

I have seen others doing these types of things with no lube so I guess it's not mandatory but I have also seen others who do.

You shouldn't need to do any lubing of your hose o'rings. Once they are connected the first time, no need to relube or even remove any hoses afterwards.

It's my understanding that if the o-rings are new/fresh, they inherently have enough "slipperiness" that screwing them into a static connection won't stress them too much. Older o-rings may have lost that quality. On older hoses that I'm reconnecting without using a fresh o-ring, I would use a little spit rather than lube. Best practice is probably to use a fresh o-ring.

It's my understanding that if the o-rings are new/fresh, they inherently have enough "slipperiness" that screwing them into a static connection won't stress them too much. Older o-rings may have lost that quality. On older hoses that I'm reconnecting without using a fresh o-ring, I would use a little spit rather than lube. Best practice is probably to use a fresh o-ring.

If the "older" o'rings are dry or have issues with them because they are old, they should be replaced and not lubed. Lubing them isn't going to make them better or rejuvenate them at all.

If you are going to Lube the o'rings, you should use whatever lube that is used in the rest of the regulator or what is previously used with the o'ring and not mix Christo lube/tribolube with other type of grease. If your regulator came from the factory with Christo lube or tribolube grease, then you should stick with this type of grease throughout.

Perhaps not for you but I can think of many scenarios where hoses need to be removed/reattached. I currently have my computer transmitter disconnected so I can change the battery, that'll have to go back when I'm done. I am also switching from a braided long hose to a rubber one. I am also adding an SPG to the rig. I am also adding quick disconnects (locking) to my reg sets. Plenty of reasons to remove/attach hoses in my situation.

I have seen others doing these types of things with no lube so I guess it's not mandatory but I have also seen others who do.

You're better off buying new O-rings from McMaster-Carr. Depending on size, they're $2.50-$5.00 per pack of 100. That's for Buna-N (nitrile). You could also use Viton Flouroelastomer O-rings - roughly the same price but for packs of 25, which are chemical resistant and suitable for high O2 concentrations.

Realistically, you probably won't get through 25 O-rings within the shelf life anyway (15 years).

If you are going to Lube the o'rings, you should use whatever lube that is used in the rest of the regulator or what is previously used with the o'ring and not mix Christo lube/tribolube with other type of grease. If your regulator came from the factory with Christo lube or tribolube grease, then you should stick with this type of grease throughout.
Does anyone actually know what grease was on their regs when they started to service them? And why are you worried about mixing?

My regs were serviced at 3 different LDS before I became smart enough to not let that happen anymore. I have no idea what lube the LDS monkeys used. Or the factory.

I now use tribolube on everything including my camera gear.

Back
Top Bottom