Should I become an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll tell you my story. I got certified and discovered I really loved diving, and since I also love teaching (and have been told many times that I am good at it), I immediately decided to follow the path which was common with our local shop, of racking up specialties and Rescue and then DM and instructor. I was working on all of this when I went for a dive with someone who looked totally different from anything I had ever seen before. This diver (NW Grateful Diver on this board) descended and stopped, and hung in the water. He moved very slowly and was completely stable (I had to swim circles around him when he stopped to look at stuff). He used a light very effectively for communication, and any time I needed to say something to him, he was immediately attentive. I was floored, and I immediately said to myself, "Whatever he learned to be able to dive like that, I want it!"

Over the ensuing 9 years, I've gone and gotten it. I've gotten a lot of good training from a variety of individuals, and I am now the quiet, stable, attentive, and silt-free diver I wanted to be. As a result, I am NOW toying with the idea of finishing my instructor training in December. (I got my DM four years ago or so, and have helped with classes during that time.)

I think we need good instructors. We need people who have good skills and broad experience, who truly love to teach and want to create good divers. I've seen that kind of passion work, and the people who have the luck to train with that kind of teacher come out with skills that will allow them to be confident and enjoy the sport, and maybe actually stay in it. But I also think the industry encourages instructor training for people whose personal skills aren't strong enough to be teaching anyone, and a lot of the instructor training you can get will make you into an instructor who does his students no favors.

I would highly recommend what's been said already -- go out and take Fundies, or cavern, or a really good deco class. Get your skills polished and your situational awareness honed. Then take those things back to your instructor training, and you will go through it with a different outlook and become a different kind of teacher.

Reactions: RJP
I would highly recommend what's been said already -- go out and take Fundies, or cavern, or a really good deco class. Get your skills polished and your situational awareness honed. Then take those things back to your instructor training, and you will go through it with a different outlook and become a different kind of teacher.

If I'm to be honest with myself, I'd say that my "Instructor Quality Skills" were all derived from my cave and tech instructors. And I'm certain I'll be a far better instructor for that training more so than anything I learned in my DM training or IDC. (Of course... I did do those two programs with several of the same instructors.)

Last edited:
If I'm to be honest with myself, I'd say that my "Instructor Quality Skills" were all derived from my cave and tech instructors.

I would have to say the same thing RJP. The majority of what I learned as a diver in terms of buoyancy control, trim, propulsion techniques, and dive planning I learned from my cave training, both through NSS-CDS and GUE. Whether I ever go into a cave again or not, the skill set I learned there was crucial to my growth as a diver. I try to incorporate as many of those concepts into my classes as possible. It has truly changed the way that I dive and significantly impacted the way that I teach. I am very grateful for the experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom