Should I get my AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a PADI AI, and assist in AOW classes from time to time.

Many people enroll in AOW right after their OW, as they are indeed encouraged to do so.

I've found that there are people who do just fine and get the most of the class, and those that have a difficult time and are stressed, especially for the deep and boat dives.

The difference was mainly the basic buoyancy skills they had coming into the class. Some people are pretty good by the end of their OW, some still need some work. Although they can do the fin pivot and hovering, adjusting buoyancy as needed during a dive may require some experience to develop fully.

So, my suggestion is the following. If you are relatively comfortable about your buoyancy skills, then do the AOW right away. If you are uncomfortable, or have trouble maintaining depth, then do a few dives to work on it. If it still doesn't work, then you will at least have a better idea of what you need to improve on and be able to get the most help from the instructor by talking to him about it as you begin your class.

And as someone else pointed out, after you do the AOW, I highly recommend that you do the Rescue class as well. Many people say that it was the best class they took, and also that every rec diver must go to this level of training.

I agree that you should get a little experience before AOW. Not much, but some. Even just a few shallow quarry/lake dives, just to get comfortable with the whole idea, equipment, etc. A bit of experience can help you understand what you DON'T know, as well as what you do know, which can help you get a lot more out of your AOW. But I would highly recommend the Rescue training, both for yourself and for anyone you dive with. It makes you a lot more conscious about what causes problems and how to prevent them-in addition to knowing what to do when things do go wrong.

anytime your acquiring additional knowledge its a good thing. I agree with Turtle Diver Tim though, if you wait too long, AOW really does not teach you anything. You should do this early on in your diving carrer IMO. If you like deeper diving, Deep Diving Specialty would not be a bad idea. Nitrox and any additional training is also a good idea. I'm going to start nitrox in several weeks. I may or may not use it much but If I'm not going beyond 100ft no reason not to use Nitrox.

Hi,

Just an opinion but you could do your dry suit speciality before going onto your AOW. The specialities can be done as a seperate piece of training.

Welcome to diving Guppie! I encourage you to take your AOW class when you are comfy with it. If right away, than right away. If you want to wait, then wait. I don't encourage waiting too long. If you have 50 dives and then decide to take the course, you have most likely BTDT.

The most rewarding class I ever took was Rescue Diver. I took it through SDI, and CPR and Oxygen provider was a prerequisite for the course.

I HIGHLY reccommend that any diver that is capable take the Rescue Diver course, and a CPR/O2 provider (SDI), Red Cross CPR, or PADI's Emergency Forst Responder course. There are others, but those are the ones I am familiar with.

Go for it! It's a great world down there!

I´d have to advise you to go for the AOW right away...it just gives you more options once you have it and for me more options equals more diving, which is never a bad thing :wink:

AOW allows you to go deeper (should you want to for wrecks etc.) and still be "legal".
AOW is often required on live-aboards and other interesting dives
In addition to this you get some instruction in skills you really shouldnt dive without like navigation (which I think is key) and other things depending on what you choose to do...deep and night dives will also open new oppurtunities for you if you felt uncomfertable doing these things before...

I´m not saying that AOW will make you master these skills but at least you will begin learning...as some1 else said, if "all" you want to do is learn how to dive "dry" i´d suggest a dry suit coarse...depending on the pricing....my AOW cost about the same as a dry-course and to my mind AOW was better value-for-money...

Dive safe (and a lot)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom