Should I get the same dive watch for me and my daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really necessary to get the same computer but I would certainly say get ones from the same family. It does make knowing the computers easier as the difference is usually in the features. Also makes maintenance easy as typically both have similar requirements in terms of battery replacement.

For instance, we have a Sunnto Cobra and Vytec. Same algorithms, similar menus, same battery, etc.

I would get the same model. Much easier to figure out together, you know your other persons gear better, same service times, same battery, same SIs, etc.

Dive computers are pretty solid affairs so it is VERY unlikely a design flaw will cause a problem that both computers will report incorrectly. It is far more common for something to fail such as an ORing, depth sensor, etc and that can happen on any computer. With the same computer when one SI doesn't match the other within reason you will likely know one needs servicing.

As Jim stated - yes the brain is the key tool here - We will use analog gauges along with the computer - I work in software so I know not trust our lives completely to programmers and QA.
Marek K - the difference in algorithms was one of my points - but I have decided that being fully understanding how to use one model will be the best decision.
I went for a pair of Veo 180's - My inner geek wants to be able to download the dive profiles :)

Thanks for the input - hope to have many happy dives in our future.

The goats knew but they are probably gone or very old now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom