Should I Upgrade My D90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrKiltYou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking at expanding my photography hobby to underwater. Currently I have a Nikon D90 that I have been pretty happy with. I also have an investment in Nikon DX lenes that work well. I have been looking at housings and wow I didn't expect them to be that much; but I get why they are.

So here is the question. With the thought of spending ~$2000 (can't find a used one) on a housing is it time I upgrade to a D7100 or D7200? While I am happy with my D90 I don't know if say in 5 years I do upgrade to another camera if I am going to have trouble selling the housing.

Thoughts?

hello KiltYou,

IMHO the D7200 housings are much better than the D90 housings, the manufacturers have really improved their housings in the last few years. I would get a D7200 and try to get your hands on a couple of different housings. I use several different NIkon's underwater and love them, I think you will too. And you are right, your D7200 housing will have a much higher resale value in a few years.

Scott Gietler

There is several light-years difference between a d90 and a D7200. Much greater dynamic range, brighter viewfinder, more AF points and much faster AF, greatly improved sensor & processor, controls, on and on. And nice video too. No comparison.

We always say to house the latest model of camera, many times the camera becomes the least expensive part of the system.

The new D500 and housings are going to be out soon. If you're short on $$, you might want to wait a couple of months as folks will be upgrading and I expect that used D7100 and D7200 systems will be more available.

I am looking at expanding my photography hobby to underwater. Currently I have a Nikon D90 that I have been pretty happy with. I also have an investment in Nikon DX lenes that work well. I have been looking at housings and wow I didn't expect them to be that much; but I get why they are.

So here is the question. With the thought of spending ~$2000 (can't find a used one) on a housing is it time I upgrade to a D7100 or D7200? While I am happy with my D90 I don't know if say in 5 years I do upgrade to another camera if I am going to have trouble selling the housing.

Thoughts?

MrKilt, one more thought for you

I think it is much more important to have a good lens and a good housing, than the latest body. Any of the models from the last couple of years will perform great, but make sure your housing will do what you want when you need it, and you use the right lens for the job (I can help you in that department).

Scott Gietler
scott@bluewaterphotostore.com

Been there... When I moved to a DSLR, I found a D90/Aquatica system on wetpixel. Within a year I upgraded to a D7000 and a new housing and I am really glad I did.

Consider that the camera body is arguably the least expensive portion of your system, and it's the only part that determines which housing you need. So essentially, you are pondering spending $2 - 3000 on an "accessory" for an old, out-of-date camera. If something happens to the camera, and you can't find a decent used replacement, then you will have a really expensive paperweight in that housing.

Assuming you are a recreational shooter, there is nothing "wrong" with the D90, but I noticed a huge difference moving to the D7000, especially when it comes to dynamic range. This is really obvious with the standard "sun ball" shots. The D90 would always blow out on those, and the D7000 is MUCH better, although I still tend to shoot rays, more than the ball itself. Megapixels may not be an issue if you are shooting for Facebook posts, but I think you would love the D7200.

Regarding the housing itself, and only speaking about the Aquatica stuff, but there is a huge difference between the D90 and D7000 housings. Between those two generations, they moved from a 3-axis milling machine to a 5-axis machine. The D90 housing looked like a toaster. The D7000 looks like a Porsche!

I am wrestling upgrading to a FF camera, but the cost leap is more than I can justify. I manage to get some stuff into magazines with the D7000, so I can't even justify it that way....

Last edited:
The D7200 fits perfectly in a D7100 housing. You may be able to find a 7100 housing that's a bit cheaper than a 7200. Not sure it they are generally the same price for each manufacturer. D7200 has some internal improvements over the 7100. One major upgrade is a large buffer, important if you do any high speed CF. i recently upgraded from a D300 to D7200 with Nexus housing. Very happy with both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom