Should or would you have your children dive with you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My parent let me dive with them at age 7. I had been snorkeling over them when they dove from age 5. I remember them testing their new CO2 cartrige vests for emergency ascents and I was there for every equipment assembly/disassembly. We had our own portable compressor and pumped tanks in various camp grounds. I do not remember being trained but I remember plenty of cesa's before age 15 (j-valve).

After moving to Kauai and having to get certified to rent gear, I got to return the favor for my mom when she came to the Islands. Rented gear from two shops to take her diving in Bay of Refuge. Talk about multiple full circles, my first scuba student was one of my first scuba instructors, and now I'm working resort scuba, teaching families to dive.

My experience is that over 95% of the kids who have successfully snorkled and show an interest in diving will dive safely with proper supervision. In some families, older siblings are competent to lead dives. Others families need or prefer an Inst/DM. There are some families with DM's for older siblings or parents. IMHO, The key is successful snorkeling and an interest in diving, no matter the age.

do it easy:
I think what you are trying to say is that what the parents don't know can actually harm their children, right? Are the parents competent enough to recognize when conditions are unsafe? How do they know?

One way to look at is that when the family gets certified together for the first time, the parents know only as much as a 12 year old.

Yes, and also, if something should happen to them, are they confident their child can help them, if needed. Do they want to impose such an emotional task on their child. Perhaps it is better until they are much more experienced to dive with a DM or someone more qualified to go out. All just some thoughts that may not cross the minds of parents when they are only looking at the fun side.

Thanks DIE :)

When I started my grow your own dive buddy program, I was already an experienced diver. Thus, when my kid was old enough to get his OW, I knew (1) I could take pretty good care of him, and (2) I could take pretty good care of myself. Now, he is 16 and I'd rely on him at least as much as I'd rely on most dive buddies to take care of me in an emergency. In addition, he can now carry all the dive gear (at once) and all I need to do is keep feeding him. HOWEVER, I would never have let him dive if we had the limited experience of comparable OW certs.

do it easy:
I think what you are trying to say is that what the parents don't know can actually harm their children, right? Are the parents competent enough to recognize when conditions are unsafe? How do they know?

One way to look at is that when the family gets certified together for the first time, the parents know only as much as a 12 year old.
And also is as likely to need the help of the 12 year old as the 12 year old is likely to need their help. Maybe even more so because the parent will also be preoccupied worrying about the child in most cases i guess.

I learned to use scuba when I was six, I was already an avid freediver and an excellent swimmer. My boy (now 11) is a strong swimmer and freediver and did his first tank dives when he was 8, he only dives with me and will not be cleared to dive with someone else (well ... rare exceptions) until he completes a 100 hour Scripps model course with someone other than me (likely he'll have to be 16 for that).

I haven' thought this issue in detail but my kneejerk reaction is that any adult (parent or otherwise) who intends to dive with (supervise) a child in the water should be certified to (at least) a DM level.

I would worry about my kids keeping cool heads and making good decisions when the silt hits the fan. You can have good skills and poor judgment. My son is an ADD type and I can some Chrissy Rouse in him. The most dangerous drivers are in the 16-24 age group. Why would one assume they would be safer diving?

The most dangerous drivers are in the 16-24 age group

yea, and add a little testosterone and you really have to keep an eye on that bunch.

DoItEasy, I think you distilled it down to the basic concept.

I agree with halemano, strong freedivers ....well, had this lady been one, she would not have died, in my mind.

Catherine, do you think being a freediver prevents panic?

In the case of feeling or being overweighted, yes. Being stuck in a 150 ft wreck with an empty tank, no.

If you have an airsource and can freedive, sinking doesn't phase you. (unless its steel doubles, a downdraft and a wall...) It's all relative, but I feel if I could not freedive a bit, I couldn't be comfortable. The concept of riding around on a sofa with an inflator button scares me.

I agree with you, Missdirected. I think a parent who dives with a child need to realize that you not only are responsible for your self as a "solo" diver, you are also responsible for your child. I did not get my son to dive with me until I finished rescue class, and was comfortable with diving.

My son might never be a confident diver, until years later. For now, he is usually less than 2 feet away from me, and in poor visibility, with my hand on his spg hose. We stay shallow, and avoid any lakes with surface traffic.

Maturity will take alot of time, and I don't expect him to act as my "buddy".

Back
Top Bottom