Should refund be given for reg service problem?

Should the shop give a refund?

• Yes

Votes: 53 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shop's attitude on the thread shows a very poor business sense regarding customer relations. They're making subtle disparaging remarks regarding the customer and trying to absolve themselves of all responsibility. What they fail to understand is that with every defensive post they drive customer farther and farther away. What they need to say is that they are very sorry that this happened, will certainly fix the regulator for free, will get to the bottom of why and how this happened from their side because this is certainly something that has never happened before after they have serviced a regulator.

Effectively yes, when this happened to me they wouldn't give me a refund but they did give me a credit so the next annual service was free.

Tip: Never dive it without at least a pool test! (or in a controlled environment)

I trust the guy that services my gear with my life! I trust him enough to get it out of service and go dive deep with it..but HE even said give it a good test before going out somewhere, and gives me the option to wander by his OW classes and hang out in the pool to test it! I would rather take an extra day to check them out in 10-15 feet for an hour than at 100 feet!

Refund? Nah, but I would hope that next years is either discounted or on the house! (and that they offer you a pool dive for testing purposes!)

captndale:
Many divers, myself included, do not tighten the regulator nut that connects their second stage to the hose.

My regs free-flow if they are not connected tightly to the hose.

Second stages should be tightened with a wrench. Finger tightening is probably not a good idea especially for an OW single rig. For a short time it was a DIR recommendation with doubles with stages and deco bottles... but I don't believe this technique is suggested any longer.

Once tightened with a wrench with the appropriate amount of torque, it ain't gonna loosen up during travel ... or whatever.

IMHO:

1. This is a recreational diver. Not a dive captain, DIR diver, or equipment technician. Most recreational divers rely heavily on shops to maintain their equipment and pay handsomely to do so. This should not have happened so soon after a servicing (unless the diver messed with it and the diver says he did not). But, regretably and uncommonly it does. That's when the shop must show its business acumen. Yes, I believe all recreational divers should be adept in checking life support equipment carefully and I try to impart that to them when I teach. However, even if taught, many divers get in the water too infrequently and leave important lessons on the classroom floor. That is why I support frequent local diving to keep skills fresh. But that was another thread involving same LDS.

2. Divers' demands were reasonable, regardless of who was at fault. He was not discussing lawsuit, he was not discussing liability. He just wanted a full refund for service he felt was not rendered. I am sure this has turned into a far more expensive issue than that of a standard regulator service.

3. In 22 years of diving, 3200+ dives, I have never had a second stage simply fall off the regulator. I've traveled in a lot planes, trains and automobiles. I've had a lot of other things happen to my regulator, but never a second stage fall off. Again, IMHO: Either someone (the Tech) did not tighten it or someone (the diver) tinkered with it. Both parties disclaim against that, so we have a case of he said/he said.

4. Diver should have done a dive and checked all connections in a pool or controlled open water environment before diving to 100' with a recently serviced regulator. In subsequent posts (on other thread), I think he realizes that mistake and lesson is learned. Thankfully a lesson learned with little ill-effect.

5. Business 101: The customer is always right (within reason). I believe in this instance, even if the shop is 100% adamant that it was not the tech's fault, you refund the monies and apologize that this happened. Of course for liability reasons, you send a letter, along with the refund, advising of all the other contributing environmental conditions that could have made this happen and disclaim all liability. Advise in the letter that this is an attempt to take care of customer who is dissatisfied for "any" reason and not admission of guilt or liability. Of course, you also state that acceptance of the payment disclaims all further damages and liabiltiy. After all, this is America where 1/3rd of our GDP is legal fees.

If the shop had taken care of this initially, we never would have heard about this at all. As an instructor, I am going to ask the owner of the video if I can use it in class when going through pre-dive checks and equipment. If nothing else, I intend to learn from it. Hopefully the parties involved will do the same.

Perhaps the training priorities have changed in the past four years, but in 2003 my daughter was taught that the diver is responsible to check out the equipment before a dive.

Oddly enough, this is the same thing I was taught in 1970.

garyfotodiver:
Perhaps the training priorities have changed in the past four years, but in 2003 my daughter was taught that the diver is responsible to check out the equipment before a dive.

Oddly enough, this is the same thing I was taught in 1970.

Of course, ultimately the diver is responsible for doing so (it's not the shop's life at risk when someone dives). But a lot of OW divers simply aren't taught service/maintenance, and from the other thread, it was stated that it's very difficult to find a loose connection because it's 1) finger tight, and 2) the o-ring will seal well before the connection is sufficiently tightened. For the record, I agree that the shop doesn't have to accept liability, but from a business perspective it would have cost less to give the refund than deal with a highly public forum trying to promote an utterly equivalent solution that the customer has long-since decided not to accept.

Some senior members of the board say everyone should service their own gear, but as great as that would be. it's simply not going to happen with today's recreational diving population. It's like saying everyone should service their own car. Though some of us may, I doubt many expect our mothers or grandmothers to do so, though they may be fully qualified to drive. Similarly, even if I can change my oil, I'm not replacing my own brakes or fan belt, and honestly I wouldn't want to be on a road where everyone does their own work of varying quality. Diving is a recreational sport, and the industry spends a lot of effort and money promoting how safe it is. Ultimately, to solve this problem we either need to extend OW training to include more aspects of critical equipment checks, have shops warn divers to always test serviced equipment before dives, or something similar. I would like it if every certified service shop is required to have an on-site pool for customers to test equipment after service, but I don't think that's practically going to happen either.

awap:
Summary: Diver has reg serviced then goes on vacation to Grand Cayman. At 100', the 2nd stage falls off the LP hose. Diver & buddy do a good job and handle the situation well. Diver returns to shop but is refused a refund!!!!

Details: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=177602

What do you think? Does the diver deserve a refund?

What mechanism of failiure? if its a simple case of the reg not being fully screwed onto the connector on the hose then nope. no refund. Divers own responsibility to check simple things like that. If it fell apart in some other way then maybe.

Personal responsibility of the diver to check his equipment is in good working order prior to using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom