Should refund be given for reg service problem?

Should the shop give a refund?

• Yes

Votes: 53 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had my reg serviced before I went to Bonaire last August. I tested it the pool and did around 6-7 dives with it in Bonaire. Then, on a rough shore dive entry, all of sudden I found my reg was breathing wet. So I grabbed it to see what was wrong, and all that was in my mouth was the mouthpiece. The thing had come right off the 2nd stage because the tech in the shop never zip tied it back on. And the reason he didn't was because when he cut off the zip tie to service it, he also cut off the lip of the mouthpiece so it was really impossible to get a zip tie on securely. I suppose it is ultimately my fault for not inspecting it with a fine-toothed comb, but I'm really glad it happened in 4 fsw instead of 90 fsw. The tech at Buddy's secured it for me as best he could. I would have bought a new mouthpiece there, but they didn't have the kind I like. When I told them about it when I got back home, I got "Oh well. I guess we messed up. It happens" I got an apology but I didn't ask for or expect a refund for the entire service. However, they did give me a brand new mouthpiece and zip tied it back on while I watched.:D

I always check my gear over before I head out to dive here at home and when I get there. But I can see you are going on a trip have the reg serviced things are good. Not, they will never admitt it was a techs fault admitting blame. But they need to say for your trouble we hate what happened to you heres the money you spent sorry that happened such bad luck. People handling scuba equipment should now not to slam it around.

But I can see the other side also if they refund even if they don't claim it was there fault handing monies back is one of them things well you did hand money over so you just opened the door for legal action.

It's a shame but do-do happens. Take an Equipment repair class it will give you basics on repairing you reg in the field.

Screwing a hose to a reg shouldnt require an equipment repair class to work out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom