Should we all strive to be divemasters?

Should we all strive to be a divemaster?

• No reason for it

Votes: 116 68.6%
  • Yes, you'll be a better dive buddy

Votes: 53 31.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things that I learned in the DM classes I took is a way of giving definition to the cert levels.

1. OW divers are trained to be able to take care of themselves in most everyday diving situations. They are primarily aware of only themselves until they have a lot of dives logged or are fortunate enough to dive with an experienced buddy who is willing to help them learn.

2. AOW divers learn to coordinate and work with a buddy. They perform simple tasks as a team.

3. Rescue divers learn to be aware of what is happening around them, to recognize potential problems before they happen, and to deal with life threatening situations when they aren't able to prevent them.

4. Divemasters have the privilege of being able to work with students in an assisting capacity, often giving one on one skills coaching that the instructor doesn't have the time for, and can help divers at all levels become better qualified.

This is what attracted me to become DM certified. To feel like what I did helped a student over a problem with a skill or situation that was giving him/her trouble was all the reward I needed. That was fortunate, because all I got for my efforts was store credit at a rate of $5 a student... not nearly enough to keep up my need for travel to warm water destinations.

Rick

Al Mialkovsky:
This has me thinking about upgrading my card. While have have close to 2000 dives I'm only certified as advanced. I wonder if I were to go up to divemaster if it wouldn't make me a better buddy? I believe the rescue class would teach me some things that could be important to the people I dive with.

Rescue class should be mandatory for everyone. It is by far the most interesting and fun educational class ever. By the sounds of it, you have many of the skills of DM. Read a DM text for more info, but getting the c card just opens you up for problems. Looking back, I wish I hadn't. Now, when I dive with a newbie, I have to worry about getting sued if something goes wrong, as I am at that "professional" level.

Back
Top Bottom