Should we all strive to be divemasters?

Should we all strive to be a divemaster?

• No reason for it

Votes: 116 68.6%
  • Yes, you'll be a better dive buddy

Votes: 53 31.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
DM was the best thing I did to make me a better diver. The whole "leading by example" thing makes me stay on top of my skills. If you have no background in dealing with emergency situations the rescue course is a great thing. I took mine with another long time paramedic and the debates we were having about things being taught were so far over the instructors head he just sort of let us run with it.
Why did I get my DM? Becouse I could without having to travel. IDC course coming up in two months I may take also. Maybe I'll run away and run a dive boat for a few months as a paid vacation sometime? Who knows......Education is never a bad thing ya know!

There was a long debate here a while back about the good samaritan laws. They vary by state but if you do your best, your covered. Working is a different issue, then there is libality issues.

Good point you mention about good samaritan laws some states have them and some do not. I consulted with the Board of Health about the material covered in the rescue diver course and was informed that because I am a licensed Medic that the good samaritan law would not apply to me and that I must act in the manner in which I am licensed no matter what the rescue diver course material may teach. I am taking the course to learn water techniques and the nature of dive accidents etc. So if I failed to do something within my scope of training I can be sued and held liable. Which is the same as if I saw a car accident and did not stop to assist if someone recognized me I would at the least have my license suspended. I think diver education is very important. Not all medics are aware of the in water rescue techniques that are taught in the rescue diver course. I do life flight which is a total different game. When we arrive the patient is already packaged by the ambulance ground crew and turned over to us for advanced care.

nazgul810:
It was pure luck that I found it Al. I was poking around looking at divemaster stuff and there that was. I'm Rob Johnson.
Hey Rob, you do what I appreciate all divers doing, supporting your local diveshop.

Going to do the divemaster?

Al Mialkovsky:
Hey Rob, you do what I appreciate all divers doing, supporting your local diveshop.

Going to do the divemaster?

I'm playing around with the idea right now. I have more than the 60 dives necessary, but I'd like a few more before I do it pro. I have to be 18 to do it anyways. What are your opinions on getting it now that you've been there?

As far as supporting the local dive shop goes I wouldn't have it any other way unless he was being very unreasonable with his prices or attiude.

goofystan:
Which is the same as if I saw a car accident and did not stop to assist if someone recognized me I would at the least have my license suspended. I think diver education is very important. Not all medics are aware of the in water rescue techniques that are taught in the rescue diver course. I do life flight which is a total different game. When we arrive the patient is already packaged by the ambulance ground crew and turned over to us for advanced care.

The Duty to Act laws in most states reads: Legally while you are on duty you are obligated to care for a patient who requires and consents to it, rendering the neccessary emergency care to the best of your ability and training. If you are off duty and not functioning in an EMS capacity, you have no more legal obligations to act than any other citizen. So legally you can stop and help, pass the scene and call for help, or pass the scene and do nothing. If you are off duty but in an Emergency vehicle you still have an obligation to stop and help. Some states do have laws which require you to stop depending on your certifications. So everyone must check their states EMS web sites to be sure they are following their states laws and protocals.

I didn't know Texas required its paramedics to stop...does that mean they require you to carry a full kit while off duty, as well??

Paul in VT
currently off duty :)

Thought I was stuck in a black hole there...Al- only advanced?? I'm confused...
Then i saw the date :D

Great thread though- for what its worth I thoroughly enjoyed my DM course, so much that i became an instructor. But do i think it's for everyone? No. I do advise my students to go at least as far as rescue. The more rescue divers out there the better. Even though DM taught me a lot about my own dive skills and attitude, i've seen some people start and never finish, simply because it's just not for them!

SF

What is in the DM curriculum? I know that working on your own skills and being able to demonstrate are a big part of it. What else? And where could someone pick up a book?

lamont:
What is in the DM curriculum? I know that working on your own skills and being able to demonstrate are a big part of it. What else? And where could someone pick up a book?

PADI DM starts to get into physiology, physics, dive management, etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom