Should we get our OWD Cert on the West or East End of the Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marla1969

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All!

I have two sons (16 and 14) and we are going to the GC and are staying at the Reef Resort.

1. I understand that that that West end is calm but it is 45 minutes from our resort. I understand that for beginners we may be more comfortable in the "calmer" side. Does it matter?

2. Ocean Frontiers is right at our resort but I read it was "choppy" on the East end of the island. How choppy is it really? Would we be miserable? (hello it's the Caymans).

3. If you guys think that the west end is the way to go - do you have a dive shop you could recommend? I was thinking Cayman Diving School.

Thanks! The Rookies!

Go with OF, they are a top class dive op. And they are very patient, and wont just push you through the numbers. If you are worried about slightly choppy waters just take some TripTone or any other motionsickness pill.
The water is only choppy on the surface and most captains wont take the OW students to the same sites as the other divers if the water is a little rough.

Hi All!

I have two sons (16 and 14) and we are going to the GC and are staying at the Reef Resort.

1. I understand that that that West end is calm but it is 45 minutes from our resort. I understand that for beginners we may be more comfortable in the "calmer" side. Does it matter?

2. Ocean Frontiers is right at our resort but I read it was "choppy" on the East end of the island. How choppy is it really? Would we be miserable? (hello it's the Caymans).

3. If you guys think that the west end is the way to go - do you have a dive shop you could recommend? I was thinking Cayman Diving School.

Thanks! The Rookies!

We're leaving today after 20 days on the East End. We chose to drive the 45 minutes to the west side because we were shore diving. Before choosing a dive operator for your teens I would positively contact them and found out how they work with young people.

I know that DiveTech on the west side works superbly with teens and preteens after seeing them for 2 wks while they had SeaCamps going on. These folks positively understand the young person. I'm a school teacher and not everyone is meant to work with teens.

I'm not saying that OF isn't good w/teens...just telling you what I have seen.

It is a pain to drive the 45 min...but that was our choice and we LOVED it!!

When i was there last week and did 8 dives, they where a couple groups of young teens getting OW certified in the 14-16 age range. During our lunch break they where explaining how great there experience has been so far, and how helpful the Instructors have been in making them and there families feel safe about there diving decisions.

OF is a great op, I see no reason to commute to the other end of the island to get certified someplace else. You certainly won't be the first or only beginners there, and they have a great pool for dive training at their shop at Compass Point. And the boats can go to different areas depending on conditions, I don't think they will take out brand new divers anyplace too challenging. Winter is when you can generally expect the rougher waters out there; assuming you are going soon the water should be relatively calm.

(Do you know you have issues with seasickness, or just worried about it being harder to deal with otherwise?)

If you are staying at the Reef, OF doesn't really have what I would call a dive shop there. It was more of a beach gear/snorkel shop when I was there, and I read here recently that it's not actually there anymore.

Thanks Everyone. We have our own snorkel gear we are packing with us from Cali.

My concern was not necessarily because of sea sickness rather concerned if the water was choppy we wouldnt have a good experience and if I am taking a vacay all the to GC and paying $$$ and it is our first time I want it to be pleasant!

I will email OF to see how they handle teens and ask about the "choppyness" I have read on other posts and what they would do. Thanks again! I am totally excited about our first out of the country vacay.

I think the "choppiness" is a black & white issue. If you are prone to seasickness then, yes, you are likely to be miserable in a chop. If not, it's just another day on the sea and not a concern.

Hi All!

Thanks! The Rookies!

When are you going?

On average the seas are rougher in East End than on the west side.

That said, on average, seas are generally calmer in the summer months than in the winter months.

The sea state could make a difference in the ease of doing your surface skills for your check out dives. If conditions are choppier, either East End dive operator will have you do all of the surface skills on Open Water Dive Two which they will conduct at a shallow site (23ft max) inside the barrier reef. This is not as nice a reef as many of the shallow sites on the west side.

Back
Top Bottom