Should we take the barnacle off the turtle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There you go OP, capture a Spanish hog fish and release it next time you see that pesky turtle.
:)

norine4.jpg Turtle being cleaned legally :)

Reactions: Jax
Wookie, you interpreted differently than my intent.

I think it is important for divers to know that THEY should not do certain things. However, I think the reasons for this need to be clear, and not fictitious.
Divers should know it would be illegal for them to touch a turtle, or to attempt to remove a barnacle. But...

No it isn't. That is not what the law says. It's a felony to *kill* a turtle, not to kill a barnacle. Nor does the statute you cite (or any other I'm aware of) make it a felony to *touch* a turtle. (A turtle *nest* or *egg* would be a different story.)

There's a bizarre tendency among scuba divers (and floridians, i might add) to post links to laws they haven't read, and plainly don't understand, and then to try to give other divers advice, which is plainly nonsense, based on the same.

Anyway, googling elsewhere provided an actually *informed* answer, which is that a multitude of barnacles may be a health problem for a sea turtle, but a small number on the shell is not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No it isn't. That is not what the law says. It's a felony to *kill* a turtle, not to kill a barnacle. Nor does the statute you cite (or any other I'm aware of) make it a felony to *touch* a turtle. (A turtle *nest* or *egg* would be a different story.)

There's a bizarre tendency among scuba divers (and floridians, i might add) to post links to laws they haven't read, and plainly don't understand, and then to try to give other divers advice, which is plainly nonsense, based on the same.

Anyway, googling elsewhere provided an actually *informed* answer, which is that a multitude of barnacles may be a health problem for a sea turtle, but a small number on the shell is not.

Florida Statutes (F.A.C. Rule 68E-1) restrict the take, possession, disturbance, mutilation, destruction, selling, transference, molestation, and harassment of marine turtles, nests or eggs. Protection is also afforded to marine turtle habitat. A specific authorization from Commission staff is required to conduct scientific, conservation, or educational activities that directly involve marine turtles in or collected from Florida, their nests, hatchlings or parts thereof, regardless of applicant's possession of any federal permit.

I actually was diving with Larry Woods ( one of our area's top Turtle researchers--and a permot holder) in attempting to rescue a turtle which had been seen with fishing line deep inside it's mouth....While I did not find it that day, I did find it the next, without Larry being there....I did rescue it, and the boat called FWC, who showed up and relayed the turtle to the Juno Beach Marine Life center....while the FWC was happy about the pickup, and easily saw the importance in my getting the turtle to them--rather than letting it die....One of the admin people at the Marine Life Center went out of her way to suggest that I should not have touched the turtle, that it would have been considered an illegal act...even though for it's own good. Fortunately, the enforcement arm is more pragmatic.
Point being, the "turtle experts" and researchers will tell divers it is illegal to harass, and they call touching harrassing. If you are going to do it, you better have a pretty good reason.

So, you're saying that the professionals concluded that you'd committed a felony but they decided not to report you?

And you're also confessing that you are a felon, that you committed a felony?

(By implication by the way, so is anyone whose done a crystal river swim/dive to see the manatees-it's the same statute.)

This whole thing is silly-I found the answer to my question elsewhere.

So, you're saying that the professionals concluded that you'd committed a felony but they decided not to report you?

And you're also confessing that you are a felon, that you committed a felony?

No, I am saying that if it is CLEAR that the animal would die without assistance, then there is no felony. It is protecting and saving.

Not quite sure why you are getting so annoyed by people here that are being
neighborly enough to try and help...

"molestation, and harassment of marine turtles" sounds pretty much like don't touch

No, I am saying that if it is CLEAR that the animal would die without assistance, then there is no felony. It is protecting and saving.

Not quite sure why you are getting so annoyed by people here that are being
neighborly enough to try and help...

Because you're not helping. In fact I don't think any of the replies were accurate.

It's true that in this case it isn't appropriate to take off the barnacle. But also true that in many cases, it would be.

(You're last reply is just completely wrong; the statute has an exception for classes of authorized persons, of which you are apparently not one. I, as a matter of fact though, am. It does not have an exception for a non-authorized person's lay determination about the best interests of the animal. Not to imply that you were breaking the law to begin with, but still...)

Anyway I see no point in arguing with admitted felons.

Check out the big old hood ornament in one of the turtles in this video:
[video=vimeo;49358423]https://vimeo.com/49358423[/video]

wow.........there are billions of people on this planet,and we all have our own idea's on how to go about life,and these change as we get older and wiser,or sometimes get stuck....no use fighting about a difference of opinion,as there are billions....
also,there are so many rules and regulations from all countries,states,councils and we have our own internal rules.....
so most agree it seems to leave the barnacle on,as its just part of nature.....
also,most,(i am assuming)would want to cut away the fishing line that is stuck on the turtle,or any other living being,wether it be against the rules or not.....
they say,(those who know), that many turtles die from eating plastic bags thinking they are jelly fish....one of the best way to help turtles is not to remove turtles,but to say no to that plastic bag at the super-market,etc.....
anyways,i hope you all have a great day,and enjoy every turtle that we see....i love them all....

Back
Top Bottom