Shoulder Surgery Recovery Times and Expectations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update:

So the surgery went fine. The doctor found more damage than expected and I so I was under almost twice as long as initially predicted. I didn't really care, but it bothered my wife something fierce. I guess it's easier being the patient for that part.

When I woke up the pain was non-existent. Of course, that's because I had a nerve block and a "pain pump" installed. The pain pump stayed in for the first two days after surgery.

Heavy narcotics, ice and frequent hitting of the magic blue button on the pain pump (basically it injected a novocain-like drug into the surgery site) kept me fairly comfortable for the first two days. After that ... OUCH!!!

I started physical therapy this week (2.5 weeks after the surgery basically) and I have decided that all physical therapists are closet sadists! :)

When I'm not doing my exercises (which right now are all aimed at recovering range of motion, strength recovery will come later), I'm fairly comfortable, but the clavicle is still quite raw where a few bone spurs were removed, but nothing gritting my teeth and loading up on acetaminophen and ice can't handle. My range of motion is pretty limited, but is getting better. The doctor feels confident that I'll get full range of motion back and should be back in the water by the summer if I want to be.

The one piece of advice I'd have right now for anyone else considering this surgery -- the recovery SUCKS. If you are merely a bit uncomfortable and not actually unable to engage in your chosen activities, then seriously consider how much discomfort you can manage, because the post-surgery discomfort level is amazingly annoying some days. I'm doing my best to stay positive and continually remind myself that I was passing on dives (and other activities) I wanted to do because I couldn't do them and that I will be able to do them again. Mostly that's good enough to get me through a bad patch with a positive attitude. But if that wasn't the case, I think I'd be regretting this choice!

Yep, not going to be fun... I go under the knife Thursday. Keep posting your progress and positive outlook. I need to see that it is all worth while! :coffee:

I had roto cuff and bicep tendon surgery May 2011. The artho-surgery lasted about an hour. Recovery has been good...very painful but good. I had no idea of how bad it would hurt after the surgery. The vicodin helped but what seemed to make the most difference was ice. I rotated three ice packs several times a day. Probably getting 6-8 hours a day of ice on the shoulder. My doc had me in PT after @ a week.

Both the doc and the PT said that the ice made a bigger difference than they would have guessed.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Use plenty of ice and don't wait too long on starting your PT.

Physical therapy update:

So I started "strength training" this week. Which, means basically a few slow controlled motions designed to improve the strength of some supporting muscles using only the weight of the arm. I'm still doing some range of motion exercises as well.

One of the exercises involves laying on my back with my arm sticking straight up in the air. I then lower the arm to my side and raise it again. Basically it's like leg lifts for the arm.

The first time I tried it I could only do 2 reps.

2!

ugh!

I only do the strength exercises 2 times a week, but the second time I tried it, I had gained some range of motion, had decreased other pain, and it went better. I got a whole 4 reps in!!

*sigh*

The most frustrating thing about this is that I know I have to be patient. I'm not good at "patient!"

That said, my physical therapist is great. We talked about goals and when I told her about valve drills and wanting to be able to resume swimming she lit up. She's not a diver or a swimmer, but she says most people don't have those kinds of specific goals, and having them makes her job much more interesting for her. Having a good therapist is, I'm finding, really important. It's not just that he or she needs to know their stuff. But they need to be your ally. There has to be a connection there that allows for good communication. And the patient has to be very honest about how their getting along.

But, the discomfort level is decreasing regularly. I'm having fewer nights where I can't sleep because I can't get comfortable. It still hurts - but it's a dull annoyance rather than a sharp pain, and so it's easier to deal with.

Another couple of weeks and it should be all about regaining the range of motion and strength and the continual discomfort should be gone. I'm looking forwards to that!

Patience is incredibly difficult, but you have my bad example to help you retain it -- shoulders are viciously unforgiving of abuse.

I've decided to keep posting here on my status so that anyone considering a similar surgery can read a (hopefully) short diary of what to expect.

This week marks one month since the surgery.

At this point in time my shoulder pain level is down to "annoying" rather than painful. If I'm just sitting around doing nothing it feels like a bad sprain. A sort of dull soreness that permeates the entire joint space.

While doing exercises, or trying to do any sort of work with the arm, I sometimes feel real pain still - the bone still isn't fully healed and working the joint is sometimes a real problem still.

I'm still working on patience, but getting better at it!

I've been doing household chores lately, things like laundry, which don't require much range of motion, but do require me to use my arm. Lifting a shirt out of the dryer is within my range of motion, and it's not like a shirt is more weight than I can lift. But doing that over and over for a full load is really huge workout.

My PT is still difficult, but I'm staying diligent on my exercises.

I have found that going to a medical supply house for a set of really high quality ice packs is well worth it. I've taken over the freezer with my ice packs, but lots of ice seems to be really key to keeping progressing. I've been told that eventually we'll move to heat, but I still have a fair amount of inflammation, so not yet.

I do believe I'm about at the point where I could teach a pool class. I can raise my arm up (slowly) and have enough range of motion to do all the things I'd need to do in open water. I am concerned about strength, but I think with a little thought I can change the way I do student control to use my right arm (e.g. - teaching in a long hose setup, so I can hold onto a BCD with my right hand and hand over my primary with my left in an air share situation. But I have to try putting weight on the shoulder, practice the motions I'm considering, and I'm not entirely sure I'll be happy with the result. I'm going to ask my PT person next session what they think.

I got loaned a cooler/pump with a shoulder cuff attachment. Circulates chilled water through it that just seems to do wonders....

keep on keeping on - I have my post-op Tuesday (surgery was last Thursday). Just cant wait for PT..... (again, where is the sarcasm font????)

Well, I taught a private pool class last week and it went really well.
I've also started "Strength training" which is basically simple motions at high reps till I can't do them anymore without weights or resistance other than gravity (yet).
Yesterday I managed to move my arm in a full swimming stroke motion without significant difficulty. It still catches a bit when reaching directly over head and there's still tightness and soreness in the shoulder, but I feel really good. I'm going to see about getting into the pool to swim at my next PT session.

I am fresh back from the dr. and was diagnosed with far less than you both have endured, but it still has me concerned. The good news is that there is no real damage or arthritis in my rotator cuff or the joint. But geeesh it hurts. Very limited range of motion and no strength at all.
The dr. advised therapy for 8 weeks and a visit back? That puts me at 5/15 with a jaunt to 165 planned for 5/28. Valves at this point are a know go, I hope the therapy is as effective as the dr. indicated and a speedy pain free recovery is wished for you both.
Eric

Well, Thursday, 3/1 was surgery. Dr. said it went well, but the arthritis in the shoulder socket was "amazing". He told me that some of the cartilage was actually sloughing off.... To his surprise, the rotator cuff was intact. Ended up putting 3 screws in, and using those as anchors to shorten the tendons, bringing my shoulder back to where it is supposed to be. He had me get out of the sling by that weekend, but insisted on NO LOAD BEARING, and DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT PUTTING YOUR ARM ABOVE YOUR MID CHEST.

3/13 - first follow up - Doctor likes what he sees, but says I need to do less (I'm left handed, and its my left shoulder). Okay. Gives me some simple exercises, and sends me off.

3/17 - Damn dog trips me on the stairs. Fall, and go (you guessed it) shoulder first into the wall at the bottom of the stairs......

3/20 - back to the Dr. There is nothing they can do at this time, and no way of knowing if I messed it up. Back in the sling for 2 weeks, and meds to calm it down... CRAP! (and OUCH!)

4/3 - follow up - well, things are better than expected. Doctor is working on me, and all of the sudden I realize he has my arm over my head. Little tender, and some "crunching" getting it there but they are pleased. Now the fun begins. Muscles are toast - therapy begins..... Looks like the fall didn't un-do anything!!!!!

Dives planned for June - must be ready!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom