Show us where you live and dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backyard...

CAM00062.jpg

Local clean up dive. Lake Natomas

CAM00145.jpg

CAM00142.jpg

3 1/2 hour drive, Monterey Breakwater / San Carlos Beach

CAM00657.jpg

P1010232.jpg

South Monastery Beach

CAM00842.jpg

Point Lobos

CAM00598.jpg

CAM00727.jpg

CAM00237.jpg

CAM00499.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

The water in the first picture is the Gulf of Mexico. I work in the Tundra of Florida, while there I have a pretty view but don't dive those waters.

My home is in what I call the good side of Florida, and my backyard provides me with all the elements I need for diving, the water in the canal of the second picture takes me to the Atlantic Ocean. I'm grateful to have access to that ocean.

Attachments

• Work-Place.jpg
    Work-Place.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Backyard.jpg
    Backyard.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 110
Ski & Dive!

WF_20101213_6510a.jpg
This is where we Ski & Dive!

The closest body of water to me is the Ottawa River. I can walk to it from home but that section is only about knee-deep unless you walk a few hundred meters out... by then you're boat territory and probably far enough to be on the Quebec side (Quebec requires a different certification that has to be renewed every couple years).

The next closest place is still the Ottawa River, about 30 minutes away.
Red Pine Bay
YouzPK.jpg ovdZvt.jpg5ibMJx.jpg

Average visibility as we found out is about 3' to 6'. Unfortunately we're not quite ready for braille dives yet, so until then; the St. Lawrence has plenty to offer!

A few of the dives sites are in the 1-2 hour away range, by car. We like that since we can at least be home the same day and return rentals on time. If we decide to travel further out and spend the night in another town, it opens up dozens of new wreaks and dive locations. Honestly, even though the St. Lawrence doesn't have the warmest waters, nicest currents or... anything not covered in zebra muscles... I count myself very lucky to have so much around me. I don't know what I'd do if I were completely landlocked or only had one little lake/quarry nearby to dive in. Heck, there are entire flooded cities in this river! Even if the buildings have been knocked down, I can't wait to see what those have to offer!

Our backyard bird-bathery has to tide us over:

Mostly because:

My home stomping grounds are the Straits of Mackinac, primarily accessed from the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. My local dive shop is the Northern Michigan Dive Center in Cheboygan, MI. Great group of folks, if you're ever in the area looking for a shop or charter.

The first four shots are from the Lake Michigan side of the Straits, from a shore dive at The Headlands Dark Sky Park. The second from the right was taken in the Huron side of the Straits, out of Cheboygan, MI at about 15' at a sunken tug boat, the Jenny Lynn. The one on the right was also taken in the Huron side of the Straits, at about 60 feet, just past the bow of the St. Andrew. I took the first four shots, but not the last two...which make sense because I'm in them. :)

IMG_7659.jpgIMG_7662.jpgIMG_7698.jpgIMG_7701.jpg10585502_10152559810434019_695985648_o.jpgDiving St Andrew_081614.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom