Show us your kung-fu skills in trimming out Faber cylinders.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[video=youtube;cjBDMKdTLDM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjBDMKdTLDM[/video]

Some nay-sayers claim that Faber cylinders are butt-light and do not trim well... can you prove them wrong? Photo or video evidence required. Bonus points for looking fabulous at less than 500psi...

Faber 95's / 98's. My 108's are even sweeter but no pics yet.
View attachment 204634View attachment 204635View attachment 204636

You also look good! The tanks seem pretty horizontal to me...

[video=youtube;cjBDMKdTLDM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjBDMKdTLDM[/video]

Ah, this is delightful! A video is worth a 1000,000 words... Those are Faber HP100, right? Just what I was considering to get (using Worthingtons right now). Looks like you are handling them pretty well. When they get empty, do you re-clip them to your front D-rings?

Wouldn't call it kung-fu skills as I was really not happy with the setup, although good enough for some narrower stuff that'd require you to be on your side without having the tanks falling on my back.
[video=youtube;gEEVG1s6iqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEEVG1s6iqk[/video]

Probably around 1.5-2kg overweighted (guesstimated my weighing, a bit on the generous side), and sorry for the hanging reg, hadn't pulled the hose back.

edit: I think the tanks were at least at 150-160 bars, as I remember it being the first dive of the day... They're 12.2@232bar

I did a few more hours in the pool last weekend to fine tune my setup and I am super happy with how it all feels! I'm very happy with my Faber tanks.

Here is the latest video from this past weekend: [video=youtube;-Dv-9dIi1Dc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dv-9dIi1Dc[/video]

Last edited:
I did a few more hours in the pool last weekend to fine tune my setup and I am super happy with how it all feels! I'm very happy with my Faber tanks.

Here is the latest video from this past weekend: [video=youtube;-Dv-9dIi1Dc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dv-9dIi1Dc[/video]

Setup seems to be working nicely for you..... you look comfortable and tidy :D

One observation i did have however, is that in the early part of the video in particular (heavier tanks?) it looks like your very slightly foot heavy.... you are maintaining pretty good trim, but it's through your concentrating on doing so, not because you are "naturally" balanced.

I'd suggest either moving a small amount of weight further up your your body, or moving the cambands down a small amount, an inch at most....

It seems less noticeable toward the end of the video, but still apparent.... this is not a criticism, if you're happy stay as you are.... it's looking good!

Hi Sidemount_Stu

Thank you for your input. At the beginning of the video I had kept the top of the tank chokers on, I guess some people leave them on along with the bungee loop. But then half way I decided to take the chokers off and let the tank be held only by the bungees and it seemed to make a huge difference! I also moved my D rings up towards the shoulders. I'm only going to use the chokers to get in and out the water. Once in the water they come off.

Now, what I have to figure out is weight... With the double steel tanks I, so far, don't need any weight in fresh water. Problem is if I want to remove one tank, as I tried in the pool, I have a hard time, obviously, to stay in the bottom and have to hold on to the tank for dear life. Sure I can add a weight belt, but I don't want to be to heavy.
I think I'm going to get in the water with only my wetsuit, boots, gloves and hood and add just enough weight to keep me down and then go from there.

I am getting the weight back attachment for my SMS 75 but I'll have to figure out weight for my belt. I also have to figure out weigh for my belt and how to position it to counter act a single tank sidemount dive.

Now... I am not a cave diver. I am a wreck diver! If you have to do cave dives and need to move your tanks forward all the time to be able to fit in narrow passages, the steel tanks, no matter what brand, they are going to give you a workout for sure. I am able to do it with mine, but they are heavy!

Hi Sidemount_Stu

Thank you for your input. At the beginning of the video I had kept the top of the tank chokers on, I guess some people leave them on along with the bungee loop. But then half way I decided to take the chokers off and let the tank be held only by the bungees and it seemed to make a huge difference! I also moved my D rings up towards the shoulders. I'm only going to use the chokers to get in and out the water. Once in the water they come off.

Ahhh this makes sense... and yes i do the same, leave the tank choker on only for entry and exit to take the tank weight whilst on dry land. In water they are removed and the bungee does all the work.

Now... I am not a cave diver. I am a wreck diver! If you have to do cave dives and need to move your tanks forward all the time to be able to fit in narrow passages, the steel tanks, no matter what brand, they are going to give you a workout for sure. I am able to do it with mine, but they are heavy!

Like you i am not a cave diver either and due to diving mainly cold waters, i've opted for steel tanks too. I've given up bringing one or both forward as the weight of them make it laughable.

For wrecks, the most i'd perhaps do is unclip and bring the cylinder under my body to get through a hole etc.

I think for caves or any diving where there would be any real amount of tank disconnection and moving away from the body, i'd go for Ali's every time as the much more neutral properties are really a requirement for that kind of diving.

Glad you are making good progress..... looks good, keep enjoying it.... :)

This was actually with AL80 and ring bunjees. It's all about getting the attachment point up. It should look the same with LP85s.

603294_149509335197111_1494049608_n.jpg

Seeing a thread about favorite tanks, I thought about bumping up this one. Now that Worthingtons have been discontinued for a long while, people must have developed much more experience trimming out the Faber tanks properly. As a potential future owner of pair of sidemount Fabers, I'd be curious to hear anything you guys can share, tips/tricks/good ideas and examples of your well-configured setups to get inspired by when it gets to doing it on my own...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom