Si Tech Antares Oval Dryglove System... Can anyone recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I got the new blue rings (outstanding customer service from Debbie @ DRIS) and since patience is usually not in my vocabulary, I had my wife try and put the 495 gloves from DRIS on the rings. Even she ended up breaking one.

So I go out to dive Sunday. I put on the yellow liner gloves, then insert my hand through the oval ring with the two clips and guess what. I popped the damn glove out. Grrrh, no problem I dove wet.

So I sent the above and this "I looked it over and I think you put the groove on the wrong side. I personally think that when you pushing into the glove you should be pushing in to the seal and not out of it. What happens when at depth I reach out to grab something? Does the glove and ring pop off?" to SI Tech. The answer I got back was not very helpful.

I really like the seals still and was worth the install.

I tried one side by side with a wet glove in Lake George this weekend(not intentionally, but shop that installed the oval rings put the right side one in 90 degrees out of kilter.) No leaks in the Antares, went on and off easily, much warmer than the wet glove even with just a thin liner. I didn't put anything under the seal to equalize it for the first trial, but it was OK even without for a shallow dive. It was much nicer getting dressed with the use of my hands, rather than having to do a lot of it with Zip gloves on.

(No wonder my right hand was cold--I just looked at my computer and it was 42 at 20'!)

---------- Post added May 13th, 2013 at 04:11 PM ----------

Good news--the oval ring was just inserted incorrectly, and with some instructions over the phone, I got it turned around properly, no need to send the suit back. Next time, two dry hands!

Last edited:
Hey sent e-mail to SITech rep and found out it was my fault for not trying all componets of the Glove system before buying them. So unless you have small hands, you may want to try a different system.

i just got a Whites Fusion (from DRIS) and have these installed. I picked up some orange gloves from a local sporting goods store... L and XL. I've been using the XL large with some fairly thick liners, my gloves were pretty stiff as the liners were big, but as long as I trimmed the extra part of the glove tight, getting my hands really wasn't a prob... but it did take a bit of work. This is my first locking system (had pull over before), and just took a couple tries to get them locked, but once I got it down it worked very well. I'm thinking of switching the my normal UnderArmor glove liners and see how that works.

Though getting them on did take a bit of practice, getting them off was a pain. As I had too much extra on the glove to really get the tension to get the force off, I just pulled my hand to take up the extra glove space got it off. Trimming down only the amount I needed cured this easily.

I too have the Si-Tech Antares Dry Glove system and my first thought on them is that they are very clever and well thought out. My second thought is that they aren't very good and aren't very well thought out.

I have an OThree MSF500 which I have fitted with the Northern Diver Dry Glove system and (after a few initial issues) it is a bomb proof combination. I have (touch wood) never had an issue.

As a 'special' birthday present I was bought an OThree Ri 1-100 to which I had fitted with Si Tech Antares and sadly the gloves are the reason I still mostly dive the old suit.

My issues all relate to the tabs on the gloves. I have had no issues with sealing (anything as a lube works in my experience) and whilst it is tight getting the gloves on they aren't a deal breaker.

I can only assume that whoever came up with the tab system has never met a drysuit diver? My suit weighs 10kg - it has to be 'lugged' around, there is a lot of kit that has to be transported in the car or van, and my twinset is about 35kg. These are all big 'manly grr' items yet the tags on the gloves are the most delicate than dried seahorse gills...

OK, OK - I broke a tag off. Beginning of Jan, properly cold and one of the tags wouldn't clip in. Took the glove off and you could see that it was visibly splayed inwards meaning it couldn't clip in. I warmed it, was gentle (genuinely) and applied the tiniest amount of pressure and the tag just dropped off. The rest of the group sighed, rolled their eyes and went off diving....

Phoned OThree - they sent though a new one, no questions asked.

Now being aware how delicate these are, I now transport them locked onto the suit. That way I can't bash one or drop one and the tags are protected.

Except last night I couldn't get the glove to lock in again. Taking the glove off reveals the same problem. Long story short (I'm using neoprene dry gloves at the mo) I was able to wedge my finger in, slip the tag in place and tug the ring to make it lock. Went diving -cool.

Again, long story short, taking the other glove off ping and I'm left with another broken tag.

I'm sure this product has its place and as I said previously, they are very clever, but in my experience they are not very good and not suited to UK drysuit diving.

I'm sure OThree will sort me out again but I hate having kit that I am nervous about using and hate having to revert to plan B before I even get in the water.

I did a couple more dives with them today. I find that once the tabs click into place, they're not coming off, but it's easy to think they're clicked in when they're not, especially with the second glove you put on. I'm hoping I get better at it as time goes on. I'd hate to have to have them swapped out for the Quick Locks, just because of the extra bulk. I really like the silicon seals and being able to put the gloves on at the very last.

I find that once the tabs click into place, they're not coming off, but it's easy to think they're clicked in when they're not, especially with the second glove you put on.

Yes, as you've probably figured out, you have to check them by trying to pull them apart (without twisting) @ the top and the bottom. I'm getting better at adapting to the nuances (or ass-pects) of them; when they work, they're pretty neat.

---------- Post added June 15th, 2013 at 06:48 PM ----------

OK, I just discovered my second broken tab after a dive yesterday and can only surmise that paying to Beta-test sucks. I can't imagine this configuration flying for long.

Last edited:
I had this system on my new Whites sute about 1 yrs and at least 150 dives. They did work for a time but about the last 30 dives all were wet.

I have since changed out this to Si Tec Rounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom