Sidemount and "tec" training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415902093.653374.jpg

Ya, sidemount and multi-tanks don't work.

Thanks everyone, I'll try to reply to everything that's been mentionned.

First: Yes my profile is up to date, however I did forget to mention a tiny little thing, I'm not planning to take the course straight away. As some of you may know (it's actually easily forgotten) summer just began here, and so did my 3 months holidays (the perks of being a student), so I was aiming to take that course at the end of the summer (end january or february), by then I should have ~80 dives I think. Considering the pre-requisites I think I should be fine doing it like that, if I feel like taking the course at that moment (remember, deco proc and adv nitrox require 25 dives, which I think is not enough).
As for the 2 deco gasses, I don't have the knowledge to question his experience and training, but I was surprised as well. However if you as an instructor tell someone "i believe you're not experienced enough to take the course", it proves you value safety (though that's questionable, I've seen divers with 150+ dives that I absolutely wouldn't trust in more than 20m of water), if you tell the guy off because "sidemount sucks", well to me it (at this date) shows you simply don't want to bother learning or considering anything else.

I'd love to agree with the "allrounder" arguments, however I only have this much money and it has to travel back to switzerland with me in 8 months. If I keep diving like I do, I will eventually get to a spare twinset, however, the drysuit and main tanks will come first, so it might be pushed fairly far away in time.
There's 2 main reasons I don't want to do serious training in backmount:
- I think I will mainly use sidemount later on, I might as well learn in sidemount. Is it a fad? Maybe, but I've bought the gear and have fun with it, why shouldn't I dive it then? I could ebay it for a backplate, it actually crossed my mind a few times since I'm trying to find instructors who teach it. If I sell it, I'd be heading to GUE, where I don't have to even think "Will my instructor be good? Will he answer what I'm looking for?". Problem is, I believe there is no problem with sidemount to do open water dives, as long as you don't need too much gas, at that point you might add a twinset. And since no instructor actually comes up with an explanation of why it's bad, it simply makes me want to call bs on them.
- I believe it is dangerous that an instructor feels confident enough to simply throw a twinset on someone's back and take them down to 50m. I have never had a twinset, I had a jacket and a single 15l tank during my OW, straight after that I had my stealth, even though I looked for wings for a while. I am perfectly clueless when it comes to make safe use of it. I know the drills (in theory) etc, however having never done them, I don't think it's a great idea to take a course in that setup.

Thanks for the name of Andy Davis, I'd already looked him up, philippines isn't currently on my "to-do" list as I prefer diving here in Australia (I'll probably never get back here, while there's a chance I end up in Asia someday). From what I've heard he's rather "extreme" in his training, in the good way of the word, like going through very very small holes etc, and more looking at making very good sidemount wreck divers than "just" the average 40m dive. Not sure if that's clear, I'll rephrase it. From what I've heard, it'd be best in order to take the most out of his training to already be very familiar with deco dives, usual wreck-related stuff etc. If I happen to head in that direction, I'll definitely drop him an e-mail.

For the "well known" revolver guy here above, notice that he doesn't have regulators on most of his tanks :wink:. I believe he said himself that he wouldn't take on much more than 6 tanks in real situations, though I can't seem to find the post anymore, maybe I'm mistaken.

Still up for more thoughts =)

... that looks like roundmount to me ...
If he had regulators on all the tanks that picture alone would destroy all the recurring 'but you can carry more gas if you put it on your back'-discussions. :cool3:

Thanks everyone, I'll try to reply to everything that's been mentionned.

First: Yes my profile is up to date, however I did forget to mention a tiny little thing, I'm not planning to take the course straight away. As some of you may know (it's actually easily forgotten) summer just began here, and so did my 3 months holidays (the perks of being a student), so I was aiming to take that course at the end of the summer (end january or february), by then I should have ~80 dives I think. Considering the pre-requisites I think I should be fine doing it like that, if I feel like taking the course at that moment (remember, deco proc and adv nitrox require 25 dives, which I think is not enough).
As for the 2 deco gasses, I don't have the knowledge to question his experience and training, but I was surprised as well. However if you as an instructor tell someone "i believe you're not experienced enough to take the course", it proves you value safety (though that's questionable, I've seen divers with 150+ dives that I absolutely wouldn't trust in more than 20m of water), if you tell the guy off because "sidemount sucks", well to me it (at this date) shows you simply don't want to bother learning or considering anything else.

I'd love to agree with the "allrounder" arguments, however I only have this much money and it has to travel back to switzerland with me in 8 months. If I keep diving like I do, I will eventually get to a spare twinset, however, the drysuit and main tanks will come first, so it might be pushed fairly far away in time.
There's 2 main reasons I don't want to do serious training in backmount:
- I think I will mainly use sidemount later on, I might as well learn in sidemount. Is it a fad? Maybe, but I've bought the gear and have fun with it, why shouldn't I dive it then? I could ebay it for a backplate, it actually crossed my mind a few times since I'm trying to find instructors who teach it. If I sell it, I'd be heading to GUE, where I don't have to even think "Will my instructor be good? Will he answer what I'm looking for?". Problem is, I believe there is no problem with sidemount to do open water dives, as long as you don't need too much gas, at that point you might add a twinset. And since no instructor actually comes up with an explanation of why it's bad, it simply makes me want to call bs on them.
- I believe it is dangerous that an instructor feels confident enough to simply throw a twinset on someone's back and take them down to 50m. I have never had a twinset, I had a jacket and a single 15l tank during my OW, straight after that I had my stealth, even though I looked for wings for a while. I am perfectly clueless when it comes to make safe use of it. I know the drills (in theory) etc, however having never done them, I don't think it's a great idea to take a course in that setup.

Thanks for the name of Andy Davis, I'd already looked him up, philippines isn't currently on my "to-do" list as I prefer diving here in Australia (I'll probably never get back here, while there's a chance I end up in Asia someday). From what I've heard he's rather "extreme" in his training, in the good way of the word, like going through very very small holes etc, and more looking at making very good sidemount wreck divers than "just" the average 40m dive. Not sure if that's clear, I'll rephrase it. From what I've heard, it'd be best in order to take the most out of his training to already be very familiar with deco dives, usual wreck-related stuff etc. If I happen to head in that direction, I'll definitely drop him an e-mail.

For the "well known" revolver guy here above, notice that he doesn't have regulators on most of his tanks :wink:. I believe he said himself that he wouldn't take on much more than 6 tanks in real situations, though I can't seem to find the post anymore, maybe I'm mistaken.

Still up for more thoughts =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2w3dBHC1qM&list=UUt4mhdST0KHRc8by-ibJO_w#t=38

And now he has regs on, just for laugh, I for sure would like a go :)

Andy spends his time doing mental wreck pens but he does a lot of Rec and Entry level Tech sidemount courses, if memory serves he's doing a SM + Tec40 combination at the moment :)

If he had regulators on all the tanks that picture alone would destroy all the recurring 'but you can carry more gas if you put it on your back'-discussions. :cool3:

Ah ... so it was just for show ... I was wondering why he needed so much gas in a swimming pool ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Works perfect in a pool, ya, tanks are quite balanced though in terms of valve positioning, work did go into that. Round mount, love it.

Back
Top Bottom