Closed Sidemount Canister Light

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

passedoutwookie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks, I'm on the hunt for my first canister light to use with my sidemount rig while cave diving. I'm have a hard time justifying buying any of the big names new, but I would love to find a good deal on a UWLD, Light Monkey, Dive Rite or Halcyon light. I am also open to other manufacturers if the price is right. If I am not able to find a deal on a used setup I am thinking I will go with the Orcatorch D630 as a good budget can light, I am open to any other suggestions though. I am looking for a light that is somewhat close to the Orca's specs (4k lumens, 5+ hour burn time, 7 degree beam). I understand advertised lumens from many manufacturers are not true lumens...

Thanks for everyone's help and input!

Hi folks, I'm on the hunt for my first canister light to use with my sidemount rig while cave diving. I'm have a hard time justifying buying any of the big names new, but I would love to find a good deal on a UWLD, Light Monkey, Dive Rite or Halcyon light. I am also open to other manufacturers if the price is right. If I am not able to find a deal on a used setup I am thinking I will go with the Orcatorch D630 as a good budget can light, I am open to any other suggestions though. I am looking for a light that is somewhat close to the Orca's specs (4k lumens, 5+ hour burn time, 7 degree beam). I understand advertised lumens from many manufacturers are not true lumens...

Thanks for everyone's help and input!

I'm a fan of the Orcatorch. For the money, I don't see how you could go wrong. I've never needed the high setting in a cave.

Fun aside - on my last trip to Mexico, I loosened the can to keep the light from accidentally activating in my backpack during my flight. Long story short, I forgot to close the can, got into the water and while I was doing my pre-dive checks, said, "Oh, I just f'ed up." Thinking I'd find the can filled with water. I'd backed it out enough so you could just see the third o-ring... I got out of the water, opened the can and it was completely dry.

Great deal on the D630 from a trusted seller.

Great deal on the D630 from a trusted seller.

I saw that earlier this week and reached out to him. Unfortunately he had already sold it.

I saw that earlier this week and reached out to him. Unfortunately he had already sold it.
I think I have the cheapest (legit) price on the internet... 569.95, no shipping, no tax - if you want a new one.

I dive the orca torch on my sidemount rig too. Good light, great price, ****** grip mount. I unbolted the handle from the light and tied a piece of standard 24gauge line into the recess and attached it to a bolt snap. I'm much happier this way, but mounting strategies come down to a lot of personal preference.

I've got a Light Monkey 15-32w fixed head light bought new in 2018 and only used ~15 freshwater dives since. Let me know if you're interested.

Attachments

• Light Monkey 2.jpg
    Light Monkey 2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Light Monkey 3.jpg
    Light Monkey 3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Light Monkey 4.jpg
    Light Monkey 4.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Light Monkey 5.jpg
    Light Monkey 5.jpg