Sidemount or Backmount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Lewis, you have got to be one of the funniest writers in all of scuba . . .

I know of several folks who moved from a single cylinder to SM without ever putting on a set of twins.

But going back to what I actually SAID, I said, "By the time you NEED sidemount . . . " In other words, by the time you are working your way into cave where backmount is impractical, you will be a long way down the cave diving road. Or at least you ought to be.

My thoracic spine and knees loved the idea of sidemount, but are a bit dubious about the reality, as they are not fond of stairs.

But going back to what I actually SAID, I said, "By the time you NEED sidemount . . . " In other words, by the time you are working your way into cave where backmount is impractical, you will be a long way down the cave diving road. Or at least you ought to be.

Isn't it possibly prudent to transition to your intended configuration at the earliest possible date? This might go a long way to resolve equipment familiarity; thus reducing task loading when subsequent development in training level is undertaken?

i.e. It'd be nice to be slick and happy in sidemount, having gained extensive experience in your rig, when the day finally comes that you take cave training and/or progress into 'sidemount areas'.

Some might call this 'beginning with the end in mind'. :wink:

I dunno . . . I've kept myself profitably amused in caves for six years now, without feeling deprived by not entering sidemount tunnel (with one notable exception).

I don't think there is anything wrong with sidemount as an approach to cave diving, and I am working with it myself with a specific goal in mind, which is to dive with Brian Kakuk in the Bahamas, where access to the best parts of the cave requires sidemount.

I guess I just get irritable with the pervasive attitude I seem to see that backmount is passe, and all the "cool kids" dive sidemount now. If the OP already has almost all the gear he needs to transition to backmounted doubles, why not do that? It might be easier than buying entirely new gear and trying to absorb an entirely new approach.

Steve, have you dove the SMS 100 with BM doubles and found it didn't work well without a backplate? I've tried searching the forum for firsthand reviews, but didn't come up with much. Wish there was an easier way to give equipment a shot before investing in it.

On a side note, why does so much of the "tech gear" look blah? Function over form, yeah yeah, but surely people like when their gear looks awesome on top of working well. When looking at a catalog of recreational BCDs, then looking at the options for BPW, you really feel the lack of fashion sense :wink: SMS 100 is a nice looking setup, though.

Steve, have you dove the SMS 100 with BM doubles and found it didn't work well without a backplate? I've tried searching the forum for firsthand reviews, but didn't come up with much. Wish there was an easier way to give equipment a shot before investing in it.

On a side note, why does so much of the "tech gear" look blah? Function over form, yeah yeah, but surely people like when their gear looks awesome on top of working well. When looking at a catalog of recreational BCDs, then looking at the options for BPW, you really feel the lack of fashion sense :wink: SMS 100 is a nice looking setup, though.

Beg, borrow, and steal (okay maybe not steal) from others. That's how you try out kit before investing in kit. Or a day's coaching with an instructor, or seeking out shops that have demo gear. There are means and ways.

Workshops and clinics, mate. I run SM clinics (one and two-day) where all the harnesses are supplied. Quite a fwe of my friends do, but most are this side of the continent (great lakes to east coast down to Florida) Look for one in your area. I have a buddy (well a few!) on the wet coast. Name's Michael Menduno, drop me a PM with an email address and I will put you in touch. Michael does not teach but knows a bit about technical diving. He may be able to help get you squared away.

Hello,
I Have been cavern certified for a while not and am soon going to be moving forward with my certification. The next steps as I am sure you all know requires complete redundancy including 2 first stages. I think that instead of investing in H-valves on all of my tanks, I want to go ahead and jump to having 2 tanks. I am wanted to hear other troglodytes opinions on the pros and cons of diving 2 tanks sidemount vs. diving backmount doubles. What sort of set up would you recommend? The shop nearest me does have a killer deal on the Hollis sms100 but do you think I should stick with a BP/W set up or does it matter?

Thanks for your help.

No matter what you choose,be it backmount and sidemount,make sure you are compentent in these before attempting a class. There have been so many times I have seen someone transition from single tank cavern to a double tank configuration and assume their instructor is going to teach them. Besides wasting a lot of class time learning how to dive these configurations,there is a question of how competent that person is in overhead.

To editorialize,and this is early in your stage,but learning and being able to use both is a huge advantage. As much as people want to think,one configuration is not good for all situations. Cave diving configurations are tools,and the more tools you can use the better,well rounded cave diver you will be. For example,some caves are flat and wide,sidemount is great,but places that are tall and narrow,then backmount is better. For those that say in the tall and narrow passages I just roll sideways,then why are we seeing an increase in cave damage in these types of passages during this commerical explosion in sidemounting.

Mr. Lewis, you have got to be one of the funniest writers in all of scuba . . .

Thank you... appreciate you noticing! :) Of course, it took years of watching people do the most amusing stuff.

Thank you... appreciate you noticing! :) Of course, it took years of watching people do the most amusing stuff.

Sounds like a book. "The Farm Animal Stupid Scuba Compendium", or "Tao of Scuba Idiocy"

Doppler made the most important points, as he always does. After years of diving BM doubles I chose to learn Sidemount because we had students who wanted me to teach it. After a dozen dives I was hooked, and sold off all my BM gear.

Another related fact: Backmount doubles will require committing to a number of expensive gear choices that will be hard to sell later when you move to Sidemount--a few sets of manifolded banded tanks, bigger wing, V-weights, etc.
Going directly to Sidemount only requires a new harness, another reg, and buying or borrowing any tanks you can get hold of-as long a any 2 of them are pretty well matched to each other in size and weight.

In my area, about half of the BM divers have switched to Sidemount, and noone starts down the BM path anymore--learning Sidemount from the start is just easier, less expensive, and more natural. Plus, you never have to do the dreaded behind-the-head valve drill!

theskull
I agree with most of this, Doppler always makes the important points!! As far as gear that will be hard to sell later, I don't agree. All parts of dive gear can be sold usually. Thats were I find some great deals!! I do it all, BM , side-mount, and back-mounted twins , however no manifold. I went independent doubles, as stated the dreaded valve drill sucks!! If I am going on a dive with a large group that is drifting the river, fun dive so to say, I'll throw the Ranger together with a HP117 or 119. If a buddy and myself are doing the "deep drift" I may put the side-mount together with a couple of 100's. We are heading to a deep Adirondack lake Sat and I am twinning a pair of HP80's. If needed I can break down my twins in a matter of minutes. I have two sets twin 80's, and twin 100's. I dive for my enjoyment and as stupid or contradictory as it may sound, I enjoy playing around with my gear and trying out different setups. As a wise man once told me( Doppler) , it depends on your mission. The one thing that is the most obvious is back-mount doubles= BP/W ,, side-mount= side-mount BC and hardware. Enjoy your diving don't let it become a chore!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom