Sidemount solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a pic of my nomad with twin 130's, and o2.

team2.jpg

Not that you don't have a great looking mug or anything but I would prefer to see your butt (in a perfectly straight way)

Found this... could be attached to any backplate by the looks of it!
ArmadilloCCR sidemount kit

Thats weird how they have the bungees set up... what happens in that rig if you go face up on your back? It seems like the tops of the tanks would fall down...

The likelyhood of going face up in that rig would be unlikely i would've thought
You do actually adjust the bungee so they hold the necks of the tank close up under your armpit (so i read on the golem page).
After having a look around i would love an armadillo rig or a transpac/nomad rig... it just seems expensive :(
Anyone seen a nomad rig or armadillo 2nd hand?

The likelyhood of going face up in that rig would be unlikely i would've thought
You do actually adjust the bungee so they hold the necks of the tank close up under your armpit (so i read on the golem page).
After having a look around i would love an armadillo rig or a transpac/nomad rig... it just seems expensive :(
Anyone seen a nomad rig or armadillo 2nd hand?

From time to time, you can get them for sale on here or TDS. If you just buy the Buttplate and Bungees, you should be in good shape, and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. Check Dive Rite Express

As far as having the tanks fall while you're on your back... They do drop down a bit, but I've never seen it as a problem. I use my rig mostly in OW for filming as it gives me a very stable platform for making smooth pans and tilts.

I will look for a picture of the buttplate, and upload it if I find one.

Safe Diving

I've got some photos of my wife and of me in the Nomad, but not currently with me. I'll post some later. As for the bungees, they keep the valve tucked in pretty nicely under the arms. I have flipped over just to see what happens and the bottoms of the tanks are what fall. The valves stay tucked in. I also have clips tied to the neck as a failsafe should the bungee give out.

Looks like you need right hand and left hand tank valves, too....

Looks like you need right hand and left hand tank valves, too....

On your own tanks, it's more convenient, but not a necessity. The valves won't "dig in" to your armpits if they are facing up instead of down. It's a nice rig to bring on vacation, because it's very light, and you could dive with 3 80's very comfortably.

2 in sidemount configuration, and one on your back. Solves the issue of finding doubles when you're out of country. Also by adding lead to the side tanks (on the camstraps) you can trim out the same as your steel tanks, without having to pay airline baggage fees for the weight of a SS plate etc...

Safe Diving

Here are some still shots from some video my wife and I took when we first started diving sidemount. It's a little dark, but it was a P&S and it was in a cave.

Attachments

• SM_0001.jpg
    SM_0001.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 52
  • SM_0002.jpg
    SM_0002.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 62
  • SM_0003.jpg
    SM_0003.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 34
  • SM_0004.jpg
    SM_0004.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 34
  • SM_0005.jpg
    SM_0005.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 49
  • SM_0006.jpg
    SM_0006.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 52
Have any of you guys set up a sidemount rig?
I'd be interested in setting up a sidemount rig on a bp/w + harness for some solo diving

Any tips, advice ... anything?

One thing a lot of solo side mount divers do is install an "H" valve on one of the tanks so if you do have a regulator failure you can still access that gas. If you think you can unscrew a first stage and screw it back into another tank on one breathhold, try it some night sitting on your couch at home.

Myself, I carry a spare regulator in a plastic bag in my dry suit pocket instead. It serves the same function.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom