Silent or very quiet hookah device?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP

44556j

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a silent or very quiet hookah device with minimal noise, does a device like this currently exist? Im also looking for a device that does not affect marine life, specifically cetaceans, and that produces minimal noise at the surface level so that people and animals on land are not disturbed.

I am asking this question because since hookah systems are compressors, they tend to be loud if they are on constantly or in the case of the blu3 diving system, every time you breath it is loud. If a device like this currently does not exist, is there any way to muffle the noise from the compressor to make it quieter?

If you do recommend a device, let me know if it is a gas or electric hookah system and how difficult it is to set up for diving.

Thanks

do you want it to be silent under the water or on the surface?

Are you a certified diver? Have you considered a recreational rebreather?

Hello,

I am looking for a silent or very quiet hookah device with minimal noise, does a device like this currently exist? Im also looking for a device that does not affect marine life, specifically cetaceans, and that produces minimal noise at the surface level so that people and animals on land are not disturbed.

I am asking this question because since hookah systems are compressors, they tend to be loud if they are on constantly or in the case of the blu3 diving system, every time you breath it is loud. If a device like this currently does not exist, is there any way to muffle the noise from the compressor to make it quieter?

If you do recommend a device, let me know if it is a gas or electric hookah system and how difficult it is to set up for diving.

Thanks
I've used electric compressors for hookah and they are loud. The best option I know of for your requirement would be a remote tank -- no noise at all on the surface but not unlimited air.

XS Scuba makes a raft called the UFO that will float the tank and store the hose.

1710170999895.png

Reasons for noise, is
-Gas engine kinda hard to do anything about that. Unless you build a silent pack around it....

Electric is quiet. But tend to run a small compressor at high rpms.
For compactness and light weight. That makes noise.
A bigger compressor run slower. On electric. Be the best bet...
But you're probably going to have to build it.

Are you a certified diver? Have you considered a recreational rebreather?
I am a diver, I am looking for an easy portable device and carrying lots of heavy scuba gear can be tiring so I am looking for a lighter solution. I do not have a rebreather but they are expensive and I was told they are complicated to maintain.

I've used electric compressors for hookah and they are loud. The best option I know of for your requirement would be a remote tank -- no noise at all on the surface but not unlimited air.

XS Scuba makes a raft called the UFO that will float the tank and store the hose.

View attachment 831134
Is this easy to setup? What is a good thing to know if I need to refill my tank but I am in a remote area? I heard people use handpumps but I was told these are impractical and take a long time to fill your tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom