Silent or very quiet hookah device?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP

44556j

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a silent or very quiet hookah device with minimal noise, does a device like this currently exist? Im also looking for a device that does not affect marine life, specifically cetaceans, and that produces minimal noise at the surface level so that people and animals on land are not disturbed.

I am asking this question because since hookah systems are compressors, they tend to be loud if they are on constantly or in the case of the blu3 diving system, every time you breath it is loud. If a device like this currently does not exist, is there any way to muffle the noise from the compressor to make it quieter?

If you do recommend a device, let me know if it is a gas or electric hookah system and how difficult it is to set up for diving.

Thanks

Is this easy to setup? What is a good thing to know if I need to refill my tank but I am in a remote area? I heard people use handpumps but I was told these are impractical and take a long time to fill your tank.
Forget about hand pumps. They are a joke.

I have never used the UFO set up but it's about as simple as you can get (strap in tank and hose, swim to dive site, deploy hose, open valve and dive).

You can either buy multiple tanks and change them out as needed or get a portable compressor and refill your own. Compressors are expensive and require a good amount of care and attention, especially WRT filtration.

Also, what kind of dive platform are you using? A boat or off the beach?

Hello,

I am looking for a silent or very quiet hookah device with minimal noise, does a device like this currently exist? Im also looking for a device that does not affect marine life, specifically cetaceans, and that produces minimal noise at the surface level so that people and animals on land are not disturbed.

I am asking this question because since hookah systems are compressors, they tend to be loud if they are on constantly or in the case of the blu3 diving system, every time you breath it is loud. If a device like this currently does not exist, is there any way to muffle the noise from the compressor to make it quieter?

If you do recommend a device, let me know if it is a gas or electric hookah system and how difficult it is to set up for diving.

Thanks

Just get a hookah kit with standard 1st stage and 2nd stage, and put the tank of your choice on a float. Silent.

You can have as short as a 15' hose - or as long as a 150' hose. If you need max bottom time get a steel 149cf tank. Can stay down for hours and never make any noise.

Just get a hookah kit with standard 1st stage and 2nd stage, and put the tank of your choice on a float. Silent.

You can have as short as a 15' hose - or as long as a 150' hose. If you need max bottom time get a steel 149cf tank. Can stay down for hours and never make any noise.

Forget about hand pumps. They are a joke.

I have never used the UFO set up but it's about as simple as you can get (strap in tank and hose, swim to dive site, deploy hose, open valve and dive).

You can either buy multiple tanks and change them out as needed or get a portable compressor and refill your own. Compressors are expensive and require a good amount of care and attention, especially WRT filtration.

Also, what kind of dive platform are you using? A boat or off the beach?
off the beach

I am a diver, I am looking for an easy portable device and carrying lots of heavy scuba gear can be tiring so I am looking for a lighter solution. I do not have a rebreather but they are expensive and I was told they are complicated to maintain.

Is this easy to setup? What is a good thing to know if I need to refill my tank but I am in a remote area? I heard people use handpumps but I was told these are impractical and take a long time to fill your tank.

If you are trying to be lighter than a bcd and tank on your back. I don't think any of these solutions will work...
Breath holding is your best bet.

If you can't get tanks filled then breath holding is your best bet.....
Maybe add a DPV to cover more area.

Single tank scuba is the most light way to go underwater.
If carrying is a problem. Then maybe an off road dolly to move stuff will be necessary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom