Similar computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iguana751

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I use an Oceanic Veo 2.0 as my main dive computer but am thinking about getting a watch style dive computer and using the Veo 2.0 as a backup. I am looking at the Sherwood Amphos while it is on sale this month but am wondering if the Oceanic Geo 2.0 would be better for me. The Geo 2.0 uses the same decompression model as my VEO 2.0. How important is it to have both computers as similar as possible?

IMO it's pretty important. What are you going to do with two different models? Which one will control your dives? Are you disciplined enough to relegate one to a back up mode only and stick with that? Realize that some models may have you in deco while others would be fine with the dive. If it locks you out then you lose it for the next dive as it may not be cleared. Then your back up is just a paperweight.

Each manufacture seems to message the algorithms, even when using the same basic model, it is really helpful to run matching algorithms if you plan on an semi aggressive dive schedule. A two dive a day recreational limit schedule will probably handle an VEO 2.0 and a Sherwood as to the best of my knowlage they have similar schedule's, if you are going to push it match the algorithms as close as possible. Several years back I ran a VEO 2.0 and a Sherwood Wisdom, for the first several days they tracked pretty close, then they would diverge drastically and when the more conservative was not followed, a lock out occurred, which put me back to a single computer.

Thanks for the advise. I think I will stick with the geo 2.0

The Sherwood Amphos runs DSAT, one would think it would track very well with the Veo2 running the same algorithm.

The Veo2 and Geo2 are both dual algorithm, giving you the option of running PZ+ in addition to DSAT

I have a VT3 primary (DSAT only) with a Geo2 running DSAT. They track nearly identically over multiple days, multiple dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom