simple calculation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears to me both you and the new dive buddy needs to table the math slates and go dive! What ever coolin affect your gas discharge rate causes, a quick pee in the other direction will once again bring everything back to perfect balance :)

Kenny

The equation, I believe, is something like T2 = T1 * R ^ xxx

T1 is the starting gas temp, T2 is the temp after expansion or compression,
R is the compression ratio -- the ratio of beginning and ending pressure.

Temperatures are absolute -- degrees K, or if you are a hardcore imperial unit guy, degrees Rankine.

Using a compression ratio of 1/200 (going from 200 bar to 1 bar) and assuming that the exponent is 2/7, you get a possible minimum temp of 66K or about -200C. Using a compression ratio of 1/20 for the drop across a 1st stage of 200bar down to 10 bar, the coldest theoretical outlet temp would be -145 C.

--------------background and explanation of calculation --------------
I'm not 100% sure of what the proper exponent of the equation would be, I get confused a bit going through specific heat capacity, gamma, gamma-1, etc. I think that for a diatomic gas like nitrogen and oxygen, the exponent is (7/5-1)/(7/5), which is 2/7 or about 0.286. (For ideal diatomic gas the adiabatic index is 7/5 =1.4. The measured number for air is about 1.395 to 1.403 depending upon temp&pressure) (For a monoatomic gas the exponent is (5/3-1)/(5/3) = 0.4)

Since I'm not sure that is the correct equation, to see if these numbers make sense I calculated the compression heating effect in a gasoline engine and a typical diesel engine. a gas engine will "knock" if the compression heating lights off the fuel-air mixture, while a diesel engine relies upon compression heating to ignite the injected diesel fuel.
A gasoline engine compression rato of 8 would result in a theoretical max temperature at the end of the compression stroke of 300K * 8^0.286 = 544K = 270C = 519F. This a bit above the gasoline self ignition temp of 246C, but heat losses apparently give a bit of margin. OTOH, a diesel engine compression ratio is in the range of 14 to 24. Taking the midpoint of 19, and assuming a chilly 0C, the equation works out at T2 = 273 * 19^0.286 = 633K = 360C = 681F , which is apparently enough to ignite the injected diesel fuel which has a self ignition temp of 210C.

I'm by no means an expert in this field. Comments and correction from someone who actually understands this are welcomed.

---------------
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/diesel.html includes a calculator that shows heat of compression in a diesel engine as being calculated with an exponent of (7/5 - 1) = 0.4 for air rather than the exponent I used above of (7/5-1)/(7/5) = 2/7 = 0.286 which is what I interpret from some Wiki articles on heat capacity. Using 0.4 makes the heating and cooling effects of compession and expansion greater than my calculations.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom