Simple way to cast lead weight - teflon pan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK Captain Obvious, this has been stated redundantly in this and all threads on lead casting. My quote earlier - "First off, I followed all the safety precautions like doing it outside, used a respirator, etc." - so no one is saying it is as safe as making lemonade. We're just saying that for those that cast lead on extremely rare occasions like this aren't in as much danger as alarmists think they are.

Ever see a battery factory? Casting lead constantly, 40 hrs a week, indoors, etc. Although workers use respirators (that leak), with all the extractor hoods and fresh air supply, they have to be at higher TLL levels than some divers that occasionally cast lead for fun.
Sorry if this sounds harsh - you are a fellow diver of course, but I'm sick of people assuming that people never ever had a clue about lead dangers. Good reminder about keeping children away though.

Ummm. Lead isn't good for you, but obviously it won't kill you instantly like other things. It causes brain damage, low IQ and has been linked to retardation in children.

If you're going to melt lead, do it outside and have a fan nearby if there isn't much wind. And keep your children away, it's more damaging to children than adults.

dannobee,
I was going to respond by "flaming" last night, but I know you are a well intentioned person. Yes, we know lead can be unhealthy and the problem with children ingesting it, or being burned by an open flame or molten metal. And that people should wash their hands after handling. It is like every time someone mentions working with lead (diving weight, fishing lures/sinkers, reloading bullets, shooting range, etc.) that a safety bulletin for working with lead needs to be posted or all the know-it-all's feel the need to post.

Been casting it for years, without a respirator... I just stand up wind, or use positive ventilation (a fan).

I don't think that the PTFE pan is a huge issue, I know that there are potential poisonous gas issues with over heating PTFE, but I figure it must be pretty moot given the distribution of PTFE cookware and the incidence of cooking deaths. Lead melts at a pretty low temp comparable to frying bacon. I could pull the MSDS but really why bother, I'm not really that interested in the LD50.

Incidentally I use a stainless soap dish from target. Or you could use a metal pan. Lead will not stick to stainless or ally. Beware of steel as it may solder itself to that!

I solved the children problem by effective use of contraception. But yes kids are way more vulnerable to lead poisoning, and I forget why...

I recently sand cast a lead STA that weighs 15 lbs. Haven't tried it yet, waiting for the paint to harden before I scuff it all off.. I may post a thread if it works.

Oxy acetylene works even faster, but I find that a coleman petrol stove does a great job. If you need faster put a lid on your pan! Oh and support the pan on bricks, most stove tops are not designed to hold 40lbs of lead as I once (many years ago) found out to my dismay when my entire batch poured all over the concrete floor! Good thing I don't sit there watching it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom