Single on a Luxury Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses. Nothing planned. Just left my job and have time on my hands to get back into diving again. Always wanted to do one of those week long liveaboards. It's a lot of money, but I figured I just wanted to try one out.

I haven't even done my first one and I'm planning future ones, if you love to simply eat, sleep, and dive then I think you'll get addicted. Try to do one near where you live like I am (only flying from Honolulu to Kona, Hawaii) so I don't have to break the bank on the first one airfarewise.

You might want to check out the aquacat as well - if you don't dive ever ysingel dive, there are excursions to go fishing, kayaking, snorkeling, beach sunning, etc....it was awesome.

Got it, Ewaiea. Next time for the big trip. You dog, that's a great commute. We're paying $1500 a piece just to get to the boats, let alone the boat cost. After no experience, PNG will blow your mind. Above and below water. When down on the dives in Hawaii, multiply what you see by, oh, 20, and that's what you'll see in PNG. Just package the whole fish id book and that's what you saw. Remember my words on dive 1 in PNG.

The "stuck on a boat" issue is exactly why I highly suggest a liveaboard in an area with multiple islands. I found out the diff when I went to Nekton St Croix, where you anchor off the same city in the same spot every night (not their fault, gov't regulations requirement). With islands, you don't typically spend a night in the same place. You might anchor all day at one place, then move to another, then anchor for the night, or only move the boat at night to the next place and wake up in a new spot. Incredible sunsets. The jungle sounds on shore. The bats. The moon. No mosquitos on board.

On top of that, you have time to get up and eat, relax, take photos of the latest island and water view, write in the log, change the camera, BS, whatever, then your dive commute is ten steps. Back in the water. Relax. Yet, if you do all the dives, you have little time to kill.

Some of those boats give you a whole experience not just a dive trip. The Bilikiki in the Solomons was very cool. You go through various islands diving at seemingly idyllic spots. People that don't have much live here and there but with paradise on their doorstep, their children can swim like fish and never quit laughing. You see the real deal huts on stilts. Every day local natives paddle out to the boat, in dugout canoes that they made, to sell local produce which the cook uses. Fruit, flowers, jungle limes. The children with streaks of blond in their hair. We never stayed in the same spot. Coconut plantations. Jungle. Amazing blue water. Out to Mary Island, where the dives are spent listening to the volcano, rumbling and cracking, 60 miles away. Bass rumbling literally drumming you in the chest, while the bait ball swirls above you.

Lastly, to set expectations because I like to know the facts, a liveaboard isn't a guarantee that everybody is in one big loving group. Because some people board in groups, they can tend to stay in those groups. Human nature. However, I'd say it's easier to fit yourself in, than having to fit you and your significant others personalities into the group. Funny how apparently the littlest thing forms people's opinions. Amazing to me that people have the openmindedness to fly half way around the world to visit some faraway spot but won't talk to you because you don't always share the same opinion. Got to have tolerance.

Oh yeah, looks like you have to marry that girl for a good trip. My wife only thanks me for that 12 day Komodo trip. :)

Thanks for the responses. Nothing planned. Just left my job and have time on my hands to get back into diving again. Always wanted to do one of those week long liveaboards. It's a lot of money, but I figured I just wanted to try one out.

Just did two weeks on Truk Odyssey as a single diver. No problems. There were always at least two guides in the water and you can easily buddy up with other passengers. I had a great time and would do it again in a moment.

When we did our liveaboard trip in 2008 there was a single diver on board. I got the impression that he did 1 or 2 trips a year like that. I think he was generally solo diving, thought I did buddy up with him once or twice when my wife decided to sit out a dive. The DM's didn't have any problems with him.

I'd imagine that right now the boats aren't exactly being overrun with customers (hate to say the current catchphrase "in this economy", but...). Best bet is to call 'em and ask. It might be that they say "sure, but you might end up with a roomate". It's highly probable that even if two single divers end up on board that you each end up with your own rooms anyway.

Another option is to find out what if any shops have trips booked on the boats. Call them and see if they have anyone else looking for a dive partner. Never know, they might even be willing to cut you a deal if they're having trouble filling their spots on a charter.

Liveaboard is the way to go as a single diver. I have done 8 weeks total in the past three years on liveaboards - 7 Aggressor, and 1 independent. I have never had a problem meeting the other divers onboard - even one time when I was the only non-group diver. Divers are a pretty friendly group, and we've all got one BIG thing in common. You will love it, and never go back. I have met some dive buddies on these trips that I stay in contact with, and now plan trips together for future weeks. I've got two trips booked up for 2009 and two for 2010 - all with divers I met on other dive trips. I don't dive near home (water is too cold), only in tropics, so I don't have much chance to meet other divers in the local area.

Great discussion! I'm a new diver and always travel solo, though I've found a group I really enjoy (SingleDivers.com). Their dates and trips don't always mesh with my schedule so I'm considering a "luxury liveaboard" on my own for this fall. I was disappointed with the St. Croix/Nekton situation mostly due to the sameness of the sites and a little due to the run down condition of the ship (needs refurbishing). I liked the fact that all I did was eat, sleep and dive. My sister and I have already booked the PH SunDancer in Belize for August, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes. Aggressor has some great discount weeks coming up for singles, so it looks like I could get a room to myself at a regular rate minus the single supplement.

I am all over this conversation. My big issue is with the Mrs. How do I talk her into this? She is a non-diver who gets sick just looking at pictures of water. I am aching for a White Shark trip to the Guad islands. I know that is a cage dive so I don't really need a dive buddy. How does the money work for a solo diver? Is it extra since it isn't a double occupancy thing?

I am all over this conversation. My big issue is with the Mrs. How do I talk her into this? She is a non-diver who gets sick just looking at pictures of water. I am aching for a White Shark trip to the Guad islands. I know that is a cage dive so I don't really need a dive buddy. How does the money work for a solo diver? Is it extra since it isn't a double occupancy thing?

Extra. Look for the term "single supplement"...

Come to Egypt mate! Here it works excellent. We often have single divers coming here on liveaboards and that's never a problem.

Check out my personal website WELCOME TO AZIAB and click on "liveaboard" and you'll find loads of information. And don't forget to click on the google adds ;o)

Also feel free to email me with questions.

Cheers
....a....

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom