Single Tank Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone...Although I think this went off topic.

What I am more or less looking for is...Is there a way to optimally set up a single without an STA that will not comprimise any aspect of the dive. That should be left to the diver reacting right or wrong through out the dive.

I cant believe that someone has not designed a plate that has some sort of "Stays" that could be bent into the plate at time of fabrication. Easier said than done I am sure but it is a problem in a growing sector of the industry. I suspect that who solves the problem will hit pay dirt.

If any one can suggest any combination of products out there that will accomplish this please post.

Someone has designed a plate like that, but there's no reason for it. The standard plate works great for single tanks and has the added advantage of being bolted to a set of doubles without having to change anything (or get a new plate).

This isn't a "problem in a growing sector of the industry." If you want a stable platform without an STA, just use a Halcyon Pioneer wing. I still prefer using an STA just to keep the tank a little farther away from me.

What's wrong with using an STA, anyway? One more pound or two I can get off my belt.

The best solution I've found so far is a Haclyon plate w/single piece webbing harness and a Halcyon Pioneer wing using the Halcyon SS cam band buckles and no STA. If you are diving a heavy steel tank a 36# wing is probably in order. If there were a better rig I would be diving it.

BTW... unlike some other harnesses the single piece webbing can be replaced for <$15... though even with all the diving I do I have only replaced the webbing once and didn't really need to at that.

bfenne:
Thanks everyone...Although I think this went off topic.

What I am more or less looking for is...Is there a way to optimally set up a single without an STA that will not comprimise any aspect of the dive. That should be left to the diver reacting right or wrong through out the dive.

I cant believe that someone has not designed a plate that has some sort of "Stays" that could be bent into the plate at time of fabrication. Easier said than done I am sure but it is a problem in a growing sector of the industry. I suspect that who solves the problem will hit pay dirt.

If any one can suggest any combination of products out there that will accomplish this please post.

bfenne,

We have done exactly what you claim to seek, i.e. a STA-less design that works, easy to mount, easy to break down for rincing, and a very solid connection between the tank and BP.

It does not require any extra bends in the plate. The problem with extra bends in the plate is potential conflicts when using doubles. If extra bends were the answer we would have done it, bends are not exactly rocket science. I cut and bend things for a living, build my own bending dies in house.

Where are you located? We are holding demos here in SoCal.

Who knows if your interested I might consider other locations.

PM me if your willing, or interested.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
bfenne,

We have done exactly what you claim to seek, i.e. a STA-less design that works, easy to mount, easy to break down for rincing, and a very solid connection between the tank and BP.

It does not require any extra bends in the plate. The problem with extra bends in the plate is potential conflicts when using doubles. If extra bends were the answer we would have done it, bends are not exactly rocket science. I cut and bend things for a living, build my own bending dies in house.

Where are you located? We are holding demos here in SoCal.

Who knows if your interested I might consider other locations.

PM me if your willing, or interested.

Tobin

I notice that in your effort to answer all questions that pertain to the same or are similar in content you do answer in depth and also promote your company. I commend you for your taking advantage of every possible lead you can. I also dont blame you for being biast.

Based on most of your posts...one would believe that your products are the best and cover all the problem areas that all other mfg's missed. With that said...and you might have to switch posting gears, please answer...

What are the problem areas that you see with your own products? I ask this becuase there is always room for improvement and if your not seeking to improve, what does that say to us the consumer!

bfenne:
I notice that in your effort to answer all questions that pertain to the same or are similar in content you do answer in depth and also promote your company. I commend you for your taking advantage of every possible lead you can. I also dont blame you for being biast.

Based on most of your posts...one would believe that your products are the best and cover all the problem areas that all other mfg's missed. With that said...and you might have to switch posting gears, please answer...

What are the problem areas that you see with your own products? I ask this becuase there is always room for improvement and if your not seeking to improve, what does that say to us the consumer!

bfenne,

I have made every effort to be as neutral as possible, and to answer questions where I might have particular expertise. Can you please direct me to a "biased" post I've made?

Success requires one to "find a need and fill it" One need not look far beyond forums like this, and others to discover that people are expressing dissatisfaction with "Sta-Less" BP's, tank rock, harness wear and plate finish, ease of use for harnesses, etc. etc. These may not be universal problems, but they are reoccuring themes.

I have never claimed to have fixed ALL the problem areas others have missed, but we have a few unique solutions to problems presented by other designs.

Do I think my goods are perfect, incapable of improvement? Of course not, besides that position is already filled:D

Do I intend to continue to introduce new designs and improvements? Of course, that's what provides my job satisfaction.

Regards,

Tobin George

cool_hardware52:
It absolutely prevents tank rock and unlike others does not prevent the wing from being rolled up for draining or packing.
I haven't had any trouble rolling up and packing any of the wings I own, so I'm just wondering what it is that prevents this?
cool_hardware52:
Our Doubles wing (LCD 50) is unique in that it permits the use of independant twin tanks if desired.
Sorry, but again I am confused. How will my Dive Rite or Halcyon doubles wings not permit the use of independant twin tanks?

Snowbear:
I haven't had any trouble rolling up and packing any of the wings I own, so I'm just wondering what it is that prevents this? Sorry, but again I am confused. How will my Dive Rite or Halcyon doubles wings not permit the use of independant twin tanks?

Snowbear,

One of the "STA-Less" wings on the market has a pair of long hard rods sewn in to the center section in an effort to creat a cradle for the tank. These rods effectively prevent rolling up the wing from top to bottom.

How do you secure your independent Twins to your DR or Halcyon BP? Thru what slots do you pass the required CamStraps?

Take a look at our plate http://www.deepseasupply.com/page7.html

Notice the four verticle slots about half way between the top and bottom, not the slots in the center section. These slots permit securing twins using one camstrap each.

Take a look at our LCD50 Doubles wing http://www.deepseasupply.com/page9.html

Notice the pair of large square holes in the wing. These match the slot locations in our Plate.

If these features are not present "Twins" requires some means of strapping the tanks to each other with brackets so they can be then mounted as if they were conventional banded manifolded doubles.

Regards,

Tobin George

cool_hardware52:
One of the "STA-Less" wings on the market has a pair of long hard rods sewn in to the center section in an effort to creat a cradle for the tank. These rods effectively prevent rolling up the wing from top to bottom.
OK. I always rolled them side to side, even the non-STA-less and doubles wings. To drain them, I don't roll them, just turn them upside down, so I guess I don't see a need to be able to roll a wing up from top to bottom. I suppose there are folks that like that feature, though.
cool_hardware52:
How do you secure your independent Twins to your DR or Halcyon BP? Thru what slots do you pass the required CamStraps?
Actually, I don't use independent doubles. The folks I have seen using them band them together and bolt them to the plate like you would manifolded doubles, just without a crossover between the valves. If I ever have occasion to use independent doubles, I like the idea of bands and bolts. But - I'm sure there are plenty of folks who like the camstrap on each tank idea as well. That's fine by me. Thanks for the answers.

Snowbear:
OK. I always rolled them side to side, even the non-STA-less and doubles wings. To drain them, I don't roll them, just turn them upside down, so I guess I don't see a need to be able to roll a wing up from top to bottom. I suppose there are folks that like that feature, though. Actually, I don't use independent doubles. The folks I have seen using them band them together and bolt them to the plate like you would manifolded doubles, just without a crossover between the valves. If I ever have occasion to use independent doubles, I like the idea of bands and bolts. But - I'm sure there are plenty of folks who like the camstrap on each tank idea as well. That's fine by me. Thanks for the answers.

Snowbear,

I would agree that the ability to roll up a wing is not vital....but I have had many tell me that "Sta-Less" design are worthless because they can't be rolled up. Because it is very easy to seperate our wing from the plate post dive I do sometimes roll it toward the hose to chase the rince water out.

Independent twins are not they most common configuration, but for travel where doubles maybe more difficult to obtain, it's a nice option to have requiring no additional hardware to execute.

Regards,

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom