Single tank hose length realizations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
enjoying newfound bachelor life and after having a couple of reg malfunctions a couple weeks ago while cave diving, I figured I'd take this empty weekend to update the inventory database, and start some rebuilds.

ancient picture *yes I'm wearing pants*, but this is generally how I run my single tank rigs.
22829117_10159466553410134_1082948765032450816_o.jpg

If we look at the "standard" DIR hose lengths, we are told 22" secondary, and 24" SPG.
The 24" SPG is actually almost too short for me with the long backplates I use and canting the first stage over is necessary to get it to reach. It reaches fine on a normal backplate, but not the long pattern from DSS or Freedom.
What I found interesting though, is that my secondary hose is only 14" long! I know it was short, but I didn't realize it was THAT short. I use a standard 22" hose on doubles, and since the tank outlet has moved over almost 5", it makes sense that it could be much shorter, but I was pretty surprised to see 14" working well. I may put an omniswivel to get it to lay in the right orientation on my neck, but that's a function of the hose not wanting to bend vs. it being too short.

Anyway, random musing that I thought was interesting. I'm still not a huge fan of the 40" short hose and it may well become a 7ft so I can "drop it" out of my mouth without clipping it off, but that's for another day.

You need longer pants.........so we can tell if you are actually wearing pants.

enjoying newfound bachelor life and after having a couple of reg malfunctions a couple weeks ago while cave diving, I figured I'd take this empty weekend to update the inventory database, and start some rebuilds.

ancient picture *yes I'm wearing pants*, but this is generally how I run my single tank rigs.
View attachment 565675

If we look at the "standard" DIR hose lengths, we are told 22" secondary, and 24" SPG.
The 24" SPG is actually almost too short for me with the long backplates I use and canting the first stage over is necessary to get it to reach. It reaches fine on a normal backplate, but not the long pattern from DSS or Freedom.
What I found interesting though, is that my secondary hose is only 14" long! I know it was short, but I didn't realize it was THAT short. I use a standard 22" hose on doubles, and since the tank outlet has moved over almost 5", it makes sense that it could be much shorter, but I was pretty surprised to see 14" working well. I may put an omniswivel to get it to lay in the right orientation on my neck, but that's a function of the hose not wanting to bend vs. it being too short.

Anyway, random musing that I thought was interesting. I'm still not a huge fan of the 40" short hose and it may well become a 7ft so I can "drop it" out of my mouth without clipping it off, but that's for another day.
I also have a 24” spg lengthens find it kind of short

@saxman242 interesting you find it too short, that's the first time I've heard someone say they felt the 40 was too short. I have no issue with the 40" hose length, it's just the way it's routed. If it comes out of your mouth, it drops the full length of the hose vs. being caught on your neck or shoulder. Pros and cons that are largely irrelevant since I do most all of my single tank diving in a double hose, but still

interesting you find it too short, that's the first time I've heard someone say they felt the 40 was too short
I have very broad shoulders/somewhat barrel chested, so that likely has a lot to do with it. With a 40", going under my arm has always felt just a bit off, particularly when looking left, even with a swivel on the hose. As a result, I ended up usually running it over my shoulder like a standard config, but then the hose is just too long. The extra couple inches of hose length makes the 44" fall much more comfortably under my arm when moving around.

@saxman242 fair, I have a 50" chest, 36" waist and am 6'4" with a long back, but have never had any issues with it. I use omniswivels instead of elbows though. The elbows can make it feel funny when you look left

@saxman242 fair, I have a 50" chest, 36" waist and am 6'4" with a long back, but have never had any issues with it. I use omniswivels instead of elbows though. The elbows can make it feel funny when you look left
I'm slightly larger in the chest, about the same in the waist, and a little shorter. Buying suits is always an adventure.

I, too, am a fan of the omniswivel (well, technically the caveventure version)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom