Single Tank on BPW, no STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have my gear set up and I had plenty of resources on threading the harness, attaching the wing to the plate, but nothing for the cam straps to the wing and harness for single tank with out using the STA which I do not plan to use right now.

The way it looks to me it would just thread through the slots in the BP, my wing is a DR Voyager EXP no slots. Just so I'm not omitting something the straps just thread through the BP no clips to hold them or anything? If you have any links to instructions or videos that would be great.

Thanks

Just so I'm not omitting something the straps just thread through the BP no clips to hold them or anything? If you have any links to instructions or videos that would be great.

That is correct! If your plate has two sets of holes, I would use the narrower ones first. Be sure you thread your camlock correctly.

I have found that it REALLY helps to the dunk and wet straps before slapping your tank on. If they're new straps, you'll have to fiddle with them a bit before they're broken in.

EDIT:
I just googled the DR Voyager EXP, it has no built in roll control like my Hog 32 lb does...you reaaalllyy should add an STA for that design of wing.

I run my cam bands through the back plate slots (I have made slots on one that didn't have any) through the wing and around the tank like a regular BC for years. It works fine. Bolt the wing to the plate using the matching holes. 1/2 to 3/4 inch bolts should work fine. If the wing wants to taco (fold up around you tank) you can CAREFULLY make a small hole in the outer corner of the wing cover (stay away from the bladder by pushing it from the edge) and tie it to your backplate by drilling a small hole in the lower (outer) corner. The tank will hold the wing in place. No need for STA. It should be no problem at all. I have done all of this myself.

Last edited:
You won't need a sta or those wobble stopper thingies. You will have to bolt the wing to the plate though because of the opened middle design of DR wings.

Ok, now I get ur question after re reading. Yes, you'll just put the cam bands through the slots in the bp; no clips or anything to hold them in place, they will freely spin around in the slots until latched around a tank which when done will hold everything in place. And once secured tightly the tank won't roll or anything, and you'll never have the need for any single tank adapters unless you just want the weight it adds.

Never mind, I'm editing my original post.

The Travel and Voyager wings are apparently made to be used w/o an STA. I would bolt down your wing to the plate and then run your cam straps through the cam slots.

Source: http://www.diverite.com/blog/category/diverite/product-news/
February 27th, 2012

New Century Single Tank Adapter

The Single Tank Adapter (STA) was originally named “Singles Mounting Plate (SMP)” when I designed it in 1985. At that time, we had just launched the Dive Rite Wing, the original doubles wing with 60lbs of lift. Cave divers dropped by the old shop to share their ideas and show us their modifications, since back then no one could dive a product off the shelf without a few adjustments.
Guys were cutting slots in the wing for diving singles and my girlfriend (now my wife) was a new cave diver that wanted to dive her backplate all the time, including with a single tank. We had a ABS plastic plate, so I got the idea to rip it from top to bottom on both sides of the cradle that nestles between the double tanks. I added cam strap slots on both sides of the bolt holes. I now had a set up to attach a single tank to a backplate, my girlfriend was happy and the guys stopped mutilating their wings.
Today, the STA is so popular with the single tank crowd that we have now shortened our STA so it doesn’t interfere with the smaller center section now prevalent on single tank wings. Our single tank wings (Travel and Voyager) do not require a STA since we have gone to a crosshair center section that keeps the wing and harness securely together, however some prefer the convenience and added weight of a Single Tank Adapter. VIDEO: Single Tank Adapter 2012
Lamar

Well I must be on the right track cause I had to fiddle with them a bit and that was why I am asking the question just wanted to make sure I was doing it so all was in place.

Thanks
That is correct! If your plate has two sets of holes, I would use the narrower ones first. Be sure you thread your camlock correctly.

I have found that it REALLY helps to the dunk and wet straps before slapping your tank on. If they're new straps, you'll have to fiddle with them a bit before they're broken in.

EDIT:
I just googled the DR Voyager EXP, it has no built in roll control like my Hog 32 lb does...you reaaalllyy should add an STA for that design of wing.

You are. Some of those cam bands come with a rubber pad to assist in gripping the tank. What I did in the past is to thread through one slot of the rubber pad then through one slot of the Wing, slots of the back plate (in one way and out the other), the second slot of the wing then through the second slot of the rubber pad and then through the buckle. It will keep the tank firmly in place.

Update...had a tank on my bpw and all is well did not plumet to the floor in the living room. I folded the straps a bunch of times to work them in a bit and even with out being wet they were very secure. So now just have to get underwater and work out the kinks.

Thanks for all the input

Back
Top Bottom