Singles Wing Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Hollis wing. It is fine, but I don't think it is worth the price uptick from the Dive Rite stuff. Can't comment on the Halcyon, other than I feel that same about it as the Hollis.

Where do you get that there is no bladder? The way I read it, the bladder is made by Dive Rite. But it could be a reading comprehension thing... :wink:

There is a hog wing for sale in Classified for 175. I have that wing and I have no issue with it. Recently added an Eclipse wing to my collection so I think the Hog may be dry for a while. At least until I get another plate and harness so I can get my son in a BP/W.

I think you are right. My spead reading isn't what it use to be and was never much. I read "fully integrated" as one piece. My error. It is a DIve Rite wing.

That's my biggest issue with Hollis, they don't offer anything for the price they're charging over comparable brands. Regulators are the worst, but the wings are pretty bad.

Haven't seen the DGX in person, but lacking an inner bladder is pretty irrelevant with the technology they are using *textile engineer and have done some design work on wings and wing materials*. Keep in mind, drysuits don't use inner bladders either.... Does look like it is the Travel wing and that doesn't have stabilizer bars since it is designed to be used with the Transpac as well as a normal backplate, so STA is recommended. Pinching risk is actually probably lower than a normal inner bladder though puncture is probably a little higher, but aquaseal can fix any pinhole leaks. Lots of modern wings are being done without inner bladders.

Depending on which 100 and which 120 he is using, the buoyancy difference is only about 2lbs. I've dove a 25lb wing with a PST HP120 quite a bit and it works fine in a 5mm. 30lb would probably be better due to the lavacore though.

Sucks you're three weeks after Black Friday, the Trianta deal from DRiS was awesome, $330 for bp/w with cam bands and STA.

If it were my money right now, I'd do one of two things, go the cheaper route and grab the DGX kit, if it's for travel vacation, you're not doing anything gnarly enough to warrant the XT wings, EXP's will be fine from Dive Rite, Hollis is a waste of money, and Halcyon probably is as well. $310 for that is worth the potential shorter life span over paying quite a bit more to get you maybe an extra 1-2 years out of the product, but likely will still last you 10+ years anyway. Supports small local US companies instead of massive corporations, and is still high quality. I'd call DGX and see what the wing warranty if you're concerned about quality.

Option two is Deep Sea Supply is about $470 for full BP/W setup, that's a hard deal to beat for some superb quality products, and supports a small company. $100 over what you'd be paying for some of the other brand name wings to get an extra plate and harness is worth the convenience of not having to switch over, especially if exposure protection is different between doubles and singles.

Has anyone ever used UTD branded wings?

Oxycheq makes good wing, tough and streamline, but not without its design fault. I have been using one for 4+ years. You will heard all the good, but here is some not so good I found: Material is too stiff, doesn't pack well. The shape is also narrow, with 8" tank mounted, it won't inflate fully to give advertized lift. My 40lb Oxycheq provide less lift than my 30lb Halcyon with 8" tank mounted (LP95). The inner blader is over size by a big margin so it is folded on all edges inside the shell. In some instance, it will trap air. Overall, it is a decent wing for the cost. It is the toughest for sure. But it is not what I would call the best.

Oxycheq makes good wing, tough and streamline, but not without its design fault. I have been using one for 4+ years. You will heard all the good, but here is some not so good I found: Material is too stiff, doesn't pack well. The shape is also narrow, with 8" tank mounted, it won't inflate fully to give advertized lift. My 40lb Oxycheq provide less lift than my 30lb Halcyon with 8" tank mounted (LP95). The inner blader is over size by a big margin so it is folded on all edges inside the shell. In some instance, it will trap air. Overall, it is a decent wing for the cost. It is the toughest for sure. But it is not what I would call the best.
A lot of the same probems/drawbacks I have been talking about myself with Oxycheq wings.
They seem super nice but the inner bladder is very thick and too big. It's too big for the space and yes, it has folds in it.
But the very narrow profile is cool, however at a cost. The cost is that you can't get all the lift out of the wing if you have a very close tank to plate measurement. Then the answer is to use a STA that moves the tank away from the wing more so the wing can inflate, but then who wants the tank way off your back? I thought the whole idea was to get the tank as close as possible to your back to be more streamlined...sigh!
And from what I have heard about Oxycheq's customer service is that it does not exist in any way shape or form.
I also like the Hog single tank wing but to be honest I think it's a hair too wide, but it is made very well and the price is good.
One big thing for me is the wing has to have a way to unzip the outer shell to access the inner liner. I like to inspect it, clean it out with a hose once in a while, and be able to do an emergency field repair if needed.
Does anybody have any experience with Manta wings?

I have heard about the Oxycheq problems but have to say that so far I haven't seen them. It is stiff but with the narrow profile it fits quite nicely in the bottom of my carry-on duffle or the checked luggage. I've not seen any noticeable loss in lift with my 7.25 tanks and it trims out beautifully. Of course, I haven't needed customer service so no opinion there.

Last edited:
Quite fond of my Oxycheq 30# wing. I saw that Northwest Scuba Supply was having a Scubapro wing sale. 30# and 40# wings for $225.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom