• Sinker

Votes: 71 46.1%
  • Floater

Votes: 61 39.6%
  • I must be neutral

Votes: 22 14.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a sinker even using an AL80 (full) and a dive skin I don't need weight to get down. I usually use 4# of lead in fresh water and 8# in salt water to make safety stop less challenging. When I only ask for 8# on a dive boat i get the "there ain't no way" look.

piikki:
With nothing else but your swimsuit/trunks, do you float or sink in fresh water?

I sink in SALT water with full lungs. Feet go first and pull me down.

I am a floater.

Hope you feel better, it is going to be a good weekend for diving!

I can pretty well float with a full breath - when I let it out, I sink. Of course, that was pre-pregnancy - next time I'm in a pool, I'll test this out but I'd probably bob like a bouy now...

I wonder if it has anything to do with hydration levels? I know water is neutral to water (given expceptions for salt & pollution etc). Would water displace other bodily contents (ie. sodium) that might sink or float?
Do I have way too much time on my hands? YES! .. Cause I'm still waiting for my drysuit to get repaired!
S.

victor:
Breathe out, sink, lie still on the bottom of the pool for 30 seconds, you get rescued

Very embarassing
That happened to me as a teenager -- back then even with full lungs I'd sink in fresh water.

Nowdays, I'm kind of in between:

With full lungs I'm a floater in both saltwater and fresh.

With half filled lungs I float in salt and sink in fresh.

With empty lungs, I sink in both salt and fresh.

Charlie Allen

In my OW the instructor required we float motionless for 10 min. I cheated like crazy.

Check the sig line

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back