Sinking Zena

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seahep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife has the Zena, she loves it, however the other weekend we were doing a shore dive, and once all geared up we decided to put hoods on. She inflated her BC to take it off and once off it sank. She had 24lbs in the pockets. She tried to inflate the BC more but eneded up popping the bungie clip, air came out of the valve (over inflated) and still it sank. Is there anything we could do in order to check if the BC is defective, as I beleive it is suppose to have 34lbs of lift. (Size M/L)We weighed the weight and it was correct. The BC is only 6 months old. We had a 80cu with 3000psi and the only accesory on the BC is a safety sausage. We have yet to speak to our shop about the issue.

seahep:
My wife has the Zena, she loves it, however the other weekend we were doing a shore dive, and once all geared up we decided to put hoods on. She inflated her BC to take it off and once off it sank. She had 24lbs in the pockets. She tried to inflate the BC more but eneded up popping the bungie clip, air came out of the valve (over inflated) and still it sank. Is there anything we could do in order to check if the BC is defective, as I beleive it is suppose to have 34lbs of lift. (Size M/L)We weighed the weight and it was correct. The BC is only 6 months old. We had a 80cu with 3000psi and the only accesory on the BC is a safety sausage. We have yet to speak to our shop about the issue.

You had 24 lbs of weight in the pockets, an AL80 if full is negative 5-6 lbs more and a regulator system attached to it might have added enough weight to sink it.

You can always put a larger wing on the BC. They are available from Zeagle. I am not sure how big of one the Zena would handle. The Zeagle web site states that the Zena has 44 lbs of lift in one place and 34 in another.

What ever the case Zeagle has a reputation for standing behind their products and if there is a problem with it I am sure they will help you.

Give them an e-mail info@zeagle.com

I agree, you were right at 34 lbs of load on the BC.
5-6 lbs for the tank, 4-5 lbs for a reg ( I just weighed both of mine) and you were right at or possibly just a bit over the 34 lbs of lift. 24+5+5= 34
I would suggest she upgrade the bladder or move some weight to a weight belt. A good weight check would not be a bad idea either.

We were diving a lake in Northern Ontario, with a 2 piece 7mm. We didn't take into consideration the weight of the reg setup, that would explain the sink I beleive. The 24lbs, the full 80cu tank, and the regs would deffinately bring it up to the max lift.
She is going to work on dropping some lead and if that does not work, possibly a BC swap to the Concept as suggested by our LDS.
Thanks for the help

seahep:
She is going to work on dropping some lead and if that does not work, possibly a BC swap to the Concept as suggested by our LDS.
Thanks for the help

If she likes to Zena, rather than buying another BC, just get a bigger bladder. Zeagle bladders are fairly easy to swap and would be less than the cost of a new BC. Not sure but I would bet most any of the Zeagle bladders would work including the 44lb Ranger bladder. That way she could still use the Zena and when in warmer water drop back to the smaller bladder.

I would agree with the "too much weight" theory.

If she loves the Zena, but just needs a bigger bladder, the Concept II (44 lbs of lift)bladder will work with the Zena.

Thanks,

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom