Sinus Squeeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymanjo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

Apologies initially for almost certainly not knowing the lingo for this forum - it's my first post. I'm also really new to diving, having only about 15/20 dives under my belt.

A few weeks ago I went diving and got to 100ft, and developed a pain above my left eyebrow. I assumed that it was mask squeeze because I went up to 60ft and it eased and I was able to continue the dive.

Today, I went diving and it's a shallow dive, of say 45ft at it's deepest, and I had to abort the dive this time. To be honest it was incredibly scary because I lost my reg somehow and had to go to the top. I know I should have remembered the things I learnt during the course, but I panicked.

Afterwards, I was chatting to one of the guys at the dive shop and he mentioned that he had got sinus squeeze.

I'm not sure - I haven't had a cold recently.

Thanks and any tips/advice gratefully received.

Would it be possible for you to reconnect with the instructor who certified you? I would suggest you cover these concepts in person with him or her.

To answer your implied questions:
a) Squeezes can develop in many places (ear, sinus, mask, even tooth). This should have been well covered in class.
b) A mask squeeze is the easiest to fix -- simply exhale a bit through your nose into your mask. No need to ascend to fix that.
c) You can get a sinus and/or ear squeeze. It is also possible to have a reverse squeeze. Besides being ill, allergies, difficult anatomy and inflammation can help cause them. Dealing with squeezes (and reverses) should be well covered in class (and may require a medical eval).
d) I am at a loss to understand how a squeeze could cause a loss of a regulator. Can you provide any additional information? Recovering a lost reg, deploying your octo/safe second and/or sharing air with your buddy should also have been covered in your class. Under supervision, I would start doing drills in about 5 FSW.
e) Depth per se is not the cause of squeezes but rather the relative change in pressure. You can get a worse squeeze going from the surface to 33 FSW than from going to 66 FSW to 100FSW.
f) Not that you asked, but a diver with a history of squeezes, panic and inability to recover a lost reg, should be staying very shallow and getting guidance from a qualified instructor. Not going to 100 FSW...

Good luck with your diving!

Back
Top Bottom