Sipadan In September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any experience with weather conditions in Sipadan early September? Also any information about underwater visibility etc. Ive dived there in May before and we had the most supreme conditions dead flat water and endless visibility.

I haven't heard that early september was different than end of august. I think the bad bad times where start and end of the monsoon like end November and January-mid february
Hence, you should have mostly calm seas though not as flat as they can be from march to may. I've had quite some rain though, nothing that would strand you to your room, but the usual sunny morning, rain shower in the afternoon scheme.

from my experience, I would have stated :
March always sunny, flat seas, great viz 25m+ up to 30-35 sometimes, probably more!
August sun in the morning, calm seas, rain in the afternoon/evening, viz mostly like 15/18m up to 20-25m in the morning.
December, some rainy days but still no days without sunshine, quite calm seas, sometimes a little wavy, viz never up to 18/20m.

Hi gee13,

I live in Sabah and run a diving business on the west coast - so the information I have provided below in on my experience of typical diving conditions here.

Generally, you can dive at Sipadan all year round. Overall, the best conditions exist from April to December.

During July - August you can sometimes get unsettled weather along the west, east & south east coast of Sabah if a Tropical Storm / Typhoon hits the Philippines and then travels westwards towards Malaysia. Sabah does not get hit by Typhoons but this situation can cause unsettled sea state and a decrease in visibility. However the diving at Sipadan should still be fine.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your diving Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai!

DG

Back
Top Bottom