Situational, Buddy Awareness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTodd:
To the extent you alter being exactly where your buddy expects you to be notify them i.e. before moving to buddies other side, stopping to check something out, etc.

This reminded me of something I left out of my post.

Be aware of your buddies actions. If your buddy glances in your direction, then slows down and starts to turn, or look again, or look around.... swim up into their field of view. If you are farther back, tap their leg.... or whatever.

I've watched way too many buddy teams on deco in a slight current, where one drifts back behind the other. The buddy starts looking around, and starts twisting and turning trying to find their buddy. They eventually turn all the way around and the buddy hasn't moved... just sitting there watching, and then waves to say they are ok. If you notice your buddy looking for you and you aren't where you are supposed to be... -actively- tap them, signal them, or move into their field of view.

Spectre:
This reminded me of something I left out of my post.

Be aware of your buddies actions. If your buddy glances in your direction, then slows down and starts to turn, or look again, or look around.... swim up into their field of view. If you are farther back, tap their leg.... or whatever.

I've watched way too many buddy teams on deco in a slight current, where one drifts back behind the other. The buddy starts looking around, and starts twisting and turning trying to find their buddy. They eventually turn all the way around and the buddy hasn't moved... just sitting there watching, and then waves to say they are ok. If you notice your buddy looking for you and you aren't where you are supposed to be... -actively- tap them, signal them, or move into their field of view.

Excellent post Jeff.

boomx5:
Excellent post Jeff.
My buddies might not think so... since I try to solve the issue of them drifting out of my field of view by constantly kicking them in the side to make sure they are where I think they are :wink:

mweitz:
Bob, I just find it interesting that when I posted the EXACT same things as Pug did in the post he linked to you attacked part of the post and he stated that HID weren't the Bees Knees for high ambient light conditions.

Peace,

Mark

Is this what you're referring to ???

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=936652&postcount=12

If so, then that thread and this one are really not the same topic at all ... and nowhere did either I or Uncle Pug "attack" you ... we simply disagreed with your assertion that a person using a 10W HID light will have difficulty communicating with someone using an 18W HID light. Our little group of "regulars" uses a mix of 10W, 18W, and 21W beams under varying conditions ... and we've not experienced any such difficulties.

Where it gets back to what's being discussed here is that developing good awareness skills precludes the reliance of lights under certain circumstances. It's the diver ... not the equipment ... that makes the difference.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

boomx5:
Lol...I do the same thing. :wink:

Why do you guys bother to kick your buddy? Can't you hear the pitch of their scooter when they are next to you. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom